MHT File Photo
Woodyard Archeological Site
Woodyard Road (MD 223), , Clinton, , Prince Georges County
This site was originally patented as "Darnall’s Delight" for Colonel Henry Darnall in 1683. Sometime before 1711, Darnall built a large brick mansion known as "The Woodyard." In 1765, Darnall’s Delight was purchased by Stephen West, who added a large wing to the brick house. Throughout the Revolutionary War, West was involved in industry (weapons and clothing manufacturing, as well as brewery and distillery pursuits); it is possible that some or all of these activities occurred at Darnall’s Delight. The brick house, The Woodyard, burned just after the Civil War.
The site of the former Woodyard Plantation is of significance to the early history of Prince Georges County and to Maryland as a whole. In particular, the site’s association with two notable individuals (Colonel Henry Darnall, a political and financial leader in early colonial Maryland, and Stephen West, a Revolutionary War industrialist) adds significance to this important archeological site.