Financial Assistance Programs for Historic Preservation
The Maryland Historical Trust administers several programs that assist in a wide variety of historic preservation-related activities, including:
- Bricks and mortar activities such as acquisition and rehabilitation of historic properties;
- Historic Property documentation projects such as National Register of Historic Places nominations; Maryland Inventory of Historic Property forms; and HABS/HAER/HALS documentation;
- archeological investigations;
- documentation of folkways and cultural history through oral histories;
- heritage tourism development, such as brochures, tours and site improvements;
- museum activities, encompassing strategic planning, exhibits, collections management, educational programs and marketing.
Financial assistance is given in one of three ways: through tax credits, grants or loans. Tax credits are awarded as a credit on your federal or state income taxes after the project is completed. Grants are awarded either on a reimbursable basis or according to a schedule agreed upon by MHT and the grantee. These funds do not need to be repaid. Loans are awarded as a lump sum that must be repaid within an agreed-upon time period.
Each program has different eligibility standards and operating regulations, so please be sure to read each program’s guidelines closely to make sure your project is eligible. MHT encourages applicants to contact the appropriate MHT staff person prior to submitting an application.
Rehabilitation tax credits are available to residential and commercial property owners and some non-profit organizations to rehabilitate eligible historic properties. The cost of new construction, such as additions, is not eligible.
MHT administers several grant programs that assist nonprofit organizations and local governments in preserving and interpreting the tangible remains of Maryland’s past through rehabilitation, research, documentation and educational activities.
Historic property owners, nonprofit organizations and local governments may apply for loans to acquire and/or rehabilitate historic properties. Loans are also available to assist in the enhancement of heritage attractions and visitor services.
This page updated: May 16, 2009
What's New at MHT?