Museum Assistance Grant Program
Museum Assistance Program grants support historical and cultural museums as they professionalize museum practices and identify and reward excellence. These state funds leverage non-state support for historical and cultural museums that are operated by nonprofit organizations or local jurisdictions and that have been open to the public on a regular basis for three years.
There are three grant types:
- Museum Planning and Assessment grants,
- Project Challenge grants and
- Enhancement grants.
A peer review panel appointed by the Secretary of the Maryland Department of Planning reviews all applications and makes recommendations for funding.
For further information, contact Mary Alexander, Director of the Museum Advancement Program at (410) 514-7622.
MHT does not anticipate having Museum Assistance Grant funds available in Fiscal Year 2013 and therefore is not accepting applications for Museum Assistance Grants at this time.
If you are a current grantee looking for information about reporting requirements, payment requests, contract questions, or other issues related to grant administration, please click here.
Planning and Assessment grants support institutional planning and participation in outside assessment programs, often requiring the assistance of paid consultants.
Project Challenge grants support discrete projects and may address all elements of museum practice (collections management, educational programming, exhibitions, volunteer training and marketing).
Enhancement Grants support the state’s flagship institutions that serve both Maryland citizens and visitors.Grants are based on a percentage of a museum’s operating budget and are designed to support institutional needs.
This page updated: September 5, 2012
- Maryland Cultural Data Project
- American Association of Museums
- American Association for State and Local History
- Maryland Association of History Museums
- Small Museum Association
- Maryland Association of Nonprofit Organizations
- Mid-Atlantic Association of Museums
- Chesapeake Bay Gateway Network Program
- Institute of Museums and Library Services
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- National Endowment for the Arts
- Heritage Preservation
- Maryland State Arts Council
- Maryland Humanities Council
- Preservation Maryland
- National Trust for Historic Preservation