Canal Place Heritage Area
Cumberland, Allegany County
The Canal Place Preservation and Development Authority's mission is to be the catalyst for the preservation, development, and management of the lands adjacent to the C & O Canal in Cumberland, and be the advocate for preservation and development within the Canal Place Preservation District and the greater Cumberland area, for the purpose of enhancing heritage tourism in Western Maryland.
The Canal Place Heritage Area has three major components: the historic and recreational feature of the C&O Canal National Historic Park, the river-related lands along the Potomac River, and the architectural resources of Cumberland's downtown and the west side.
The Canal Place Heritage Area is managed by the Canal Place Preservation and Development Authority, a state agency. The Authority is charged with the preservation, development and management of the Heritage Area.
Preparation of a management plan approved by the Maryland Heritage Areas Authority is a requirement for becoming a Maryland “Certified” Heritage Area. The approved Management Plan includes information on the boundaries of the Certified Heritage Area and “Target Investment Zones,” and presents the heritage area’s vision and goals and the strategies, projects, programs, actions, and partnerships that will be implemented to accomplish them.
Ms. Deidra Ritchie, Executive Director
Canal Place Preservation & Development Authority
13 Canal Street, Room 301
Cumberland, MD 21502
301-724-3655 or 800-989-9394
This page updated: March 25, 2014
- Anacostia Trails Heritage Area
- Baltimore City Heritage Area
- Canal Place Heritage Area
- Four Rivers Heritage Area
- Heart of Chesapeake Country Heritage Area
- Heart of the Civil War Heritage Area
- Lower Eastern Shore Heritage Area
- Lower Susquehanna Heritage Greenway
- Montgomery County Heritage Area
- Mountain Maryland Gateway to the West Heritage Area
- Southern Maryland Heritage Area
- Stories of the Chesapeake Heritage Area
- Maryland Office of Tourism Development
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources
- National Heritage Areas Program (NPS)
- National Alliance of Heritage Areas