In 1932, a distinctive series of markers was placed along the roads Washington traveled by the various committees of the Maryland Commission for the Celebration of the 200th Anniversary of the Birth of George Washington and the Society for the Preservation of Maryland Antiquities. The cast iron marker was designed as a silver shield with the inscription "G. Washington (written as his signature) TRAVELED THIS ROAD." The top of the shield carried a gilt statuette of Washington on horseback, a copy of Thomas Ball's 1869 bronze sculpture located in the Boston Public Gardens. Seven of these markers still stand:
Copyright © 2003-2014, Maryland Historical Trust
About the Historical Markers Web Site
administered by the Maryland State Highway Administration, supported data development for this project.