Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Aaron M. Levin, 1987
419 West Baltimore Street
Inventory No.: B-1272
Date Listed: 9/30/1994
Location: 419 W. Baltimore Street, Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: ca. 1840
Description: The building at 419 West Baltimore Street is a ca. 1840 three-story gable-roofed Flemish bond brick Federal-style building, three bays wide. On the upper stories, jack-arched window openings hold 1/1 sash replacement windows in early bullnosed frames. The roofline is defined by a brick cornice, with corbeling above a course of cove-molded bricks. Around 1875, a four-bay cast-iron storefront was added at street level, converting the building to commercial use. This storefront comprises an entrance in the second bay from the east, flanked by transomed display panels framed by iron piers. The piers have raised molded panels with a central bulls-eye motif; similarly detailed iron pilasters mark the corners. Significance: 419 West Baltimore Street is significant for its architecture. A Federal-period dwelling converted to commercial use in the third quarter of the 19th century, as formerly residential areas became absorbed by the expansion of the city’s commercial core. Its cast-iron storefront façade, most likely produced in a local foundry, represents a type of architecture which characterized commercial buildings in Baltimore in the period; many such buildings were lost in the fire of 1904. The building derives additional significance from its association with the important garment manufacturing and sales industries which flourished in this area of Baltimore in the third quarter of the 19th century and the first quarter of the 20th century.

 

Return to the National Register Search page