Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Dean R. Wagner, 12/2000
Greater Homeland Historic District
Inventory No.: B-1336
Date Listed: 12/28/2001
Location: Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: District
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1790-1951
Architect/Builder: Planners: Olmsted Brothers
Boundary Description: Roughly bounded by Charles Street, Homeland Ave., York Rd. and Melrose Ave.
Description: The Greater Homeland Historic District occupies land that was historically the country estate of the Perine family located in northeast Baltimore, Maryland. The district embodies the various developments of that estate over the period from c. 1790 to 1951. The majority of the district, and its principal focus, is a planned residential subdivision called Homeland, created by the Roland Park Company beginning 1925 on the remnant of the Perine Estate. Laid out by the Olmsted Brothers firm, the development took advantage of existing topographical features. They laid out curvilinear streets, retained existing vegetation, and incorporated a series of manmade lakes that had been created to serve the Perine estate to create the signature feature of the community on Springlake Way. The district also includes a small residential and commercial development which grew on the eastern fringe of the Perine estate in the late 19th and early 20th century; characterized by small frame vernacular houses on rectilinear lots, this area has come to be known as Old Homeland. Finally, remnants of the Perine occupancy survive in the caretaker’s house on Upnor Road (c. 1790), the lakes, and a simple Greek Revival Cottage on Bellona Avenue (c. 1840). Significance: The Greater Homeland Historic District is significant for its association with the suburbanization of Baltimore, Maryland. The majority of the district is comprised of the Homeland subdivision, a project of the Roland Park Company, which was responsible for several of Baltimore’s premier suburban developments beginning with Roland Park in the 1890s. The undertakings of the Roland Park Company are characterized by a comprehensive approach to all aspects of planning and construction, and an unfailingly high standard of quality in architecture and landscape design. The district derives additional significance as an example of a type of suburban development characteristic of the period. Laid out under the direction of the Olmsted Brothers firm, the development reflects Olmstedian landscape design principles in its curvilinear streets and respect for existing topography and vegetation. The houses constructed within the development exemplify a variety of early 20th century revival styles, and exhibit a consistently high degree of quality in their design and construction. The district also includes an area to the east known as Old Homeland, a neighborhood of late 19th and early 20th century residential and commercial buildings that developed on the eastern fringe of the Perine estate.
Return to the National Register Search page