Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Jennifer K. Cosham, 11/07/2003
Inventory No.: F-3-40
Other Name(s): Ellmar, Homewood
Date Listed: 10/14/1975
Location: 5900 Frederick Crossing Lane (was 5927 New Design Road), Frederick, Frederick County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1810
Description: Guilford is a handsome brick building covered in stucco, situated at the top of a rise, surrounded by tall trees and outbuildings, in the center of a large shopping center and office park. Once at the end of a long tree-lined drive, the house is rectangular, five bays wide, 2 1/2 stories high with a slate roof with some imbricated slates, flush chimneys, and dormer windows. The three center bays project slightly and support a stepped pediment with a large traceried lunette window. A single 6/6 sash gable-roofed dormer pierces the roof on either side of the pediment. A one-story pedimented portico with four round stuccoed brick columns cover the three center bays. A broad flight of steps ascends from the brick walk. The heavily rusticated center door has a semi-elliptical fanlight and 3-light sidelights. A tripartite window accents the center of the second floor. All window openings have flat stone lintels terminating in rosettes and are 6/6 lights with louvered shutters. The north and south gable ends of the main block are two bays wide, with two 6/6 sash windows with louvered shutters on either floor, and a single 6/6 sash window in the attic gable, with no shutters. Projecting to the west, flush with the north side of the main block, is a long 2 1/2-story 5-bay wing which is as fully large as the front of the house. On the north side, the wing has three 6/6 sash gable-roofed dormer windows, and the south side holds two. An interior chimney pierces the ridgeline near the main block. Along the south side of the wing is an enclosed two-story gallery which was originally open on both floors. The garden on the southeast side of the house is original, but was redesigned by the noted Maryland landscape architect, T. Stuart Haller around 1930. There is a brick wall partly surrounding the boxwood garden which is planted in a formal design, including a stand of bamboo and brick paths. The remaining original outbuildings consist of a two-story smoke house, ice house, stone dairy building, and a corn crib. Significance: This substantial house, once situated in the center of approximately 103 acres of farmland, is one of the finest of the big country houses in Frederick County. Its interior woodwork is superior, and is unsurpassed by any house of its period in the county. The strongly rusticated front door with its semi-elliptical fanlight is a bold and rare treatment. A unique and striking feature of the principal facade is the large stepped pediment with its great lunette, the width of the tripartite window below it on the second floor. The handsome garden on the south side of the house was redesigned around 1930 by the noted Maryland Architect T. Stuart Haller. A high brick wall surrounds part of the garden which is formal in design. The center section is sunken with a rectangular brick-faced fish pool in the center. Although the house has lost its agricultural function and is surrounded by a large shopping center and parking lots, the grand character of the house is retained, as are some of its outbuildings and large trees, including a very large pear on the south side of the main block. To the north and south of the former front yard of the house now stand small office buildings, constructed in a sympathetic manner evocative of 19th century outbuildings.
Return to the National Register Search page