Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: MHT File Photo, Undated Photo
United States Naval Academy
Inventory No.: AA-359,
Date Listed: 10/15/1966
Location: 121 Blake Road , , Annapolis, , Anne Arundel County
Category: Site
Period/Date of Construction: 1845--Ernest Flagg, 1876--Waiting Room, 1881--Guard House
NHL Date: 7/4/1961
Description: The United States Naval Academy was established in 1845 occupying the site and buildings of former Fort Severn. The total reservation at its founding consisted of 10 acres. This property, which belonged to the War Department, was composed of 14 buildings, the most impressive being Fort Severn Battery, the last of the original structures to be demolished around 1902. The battery commanded the Severn River. The Civil War interrupted the development of the Academy, but after 1865 numerous improvements were made in the physical plant and more than 25 buildings had been constructed by 1900. Between 1845 and 1900 more than 52 buildings were built which formed the pre-20th century campus. Development of the campus since 1900 has been in four stages, between 1900 and 1910 there were 27 buildings constructed, the 10 core buildings being the ones of the Ernest Flagg plan. The second phase occurred between 1918 and 1924 when 7 buildings were built. Between 1939 and 1941, 25 additional structures were added. Since 1960, five additional buildings have been constructed. Significance: The Naval Academy has played a significant role in American education and naval affairs, producing career officers for more than a century. Most of the Academy’s buildings are in late French Renaissance style, the result of a building program begun in 1899. Only a few of its earliest buildings survive. Flanking the Maryland Avenue gate are the two oldest, the Waiting Room and Guard House.
Return to the National Register Search page