Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Eleanor Long, 12/1982
Western Maryland Railway Steam Locomotive #202
Inventory No.: WA-HAG-145
Date Listed: 6/7/1984
Location: Park Driveway & Highland Way , Hagerstown, Washington County
Category: Object
Period/Date of Construction: 1912
Architect/Builder: Builder: Baldwin Locomotive Works, Eddystone, PA
Description: Western Maryland Railway Steam Locomotive #202 is a K-2 Pacific type engine with a 4-6-2 wheel arrangement and tender built in 1912 by Baldwin Locomotive Works in Eddystone, Pennsylvania. Originally coal-fired, the locomotive was converted to oil in 1948 with the addition of an Andrews truck type oil pump. It has a fire-tube boiler with a working pressure of 200 psi and two 24" by 28 " cylinders with 14" piston valves. The cab retains all original instruments and controls. Total weight is 295,600 pounds light (i.e., empty) and 419, 600 pounds working; rated tractive power is 39,736 pounds. The locomotive is currently located in a City Park in Hagerstown, Maryland, 2000 feet from the former Western Maryland Railway Maryland Division maintenance yards. Significance: The significance of the Western Maryland Railway Steam Locomotive #202 is derived from its historical association with the Western Maryland Railway, which during the period 1852-1961 played a highly important role in the development of the western Maryland region, and particularly of the city of Hagerstown where its Maryland Division maintenance yard was located beginning in 1906. Locomotive #202, built in 1912, was one of nine K-2 Pacific type locomotives purchased in that year in conjunction with the Western Maryland Railway's "1912 Improvement Program," a general upgrading of facilities which followed the establishment of a link with the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie system at Connellsville, Pennsylvania. The powerful, fast K-2 locomotives handled the Western Maryland Railway's passenger service (including through runs from Baltimore to Chicago between 1913 and 1917) from 1912 until 1954, when they were all withdrawn in favor of diesel power. Locomotive #202 is the only one of the original fleet of nine steam engines that remains. It is currently located in a city park in Hagerstown, only 2000' from the former Western Maryland Railway maintenance yards.
Return to the National Register Search page