Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Jennifer K. Cosham, 04/20/2006
New Windsor Historic District
Inventory No.: CARR-1494
Date Listed: 8/21/1997
Location: New Windsor, Carroll County
Category: District
Period/Date of Construction: 1796-1941
Architect/Builder: Architects/builders: Howard Senseney, A. Grant Kauffman, and Benjamin D. Price
Resources: 225 (193 contributing, 22 non-contributing)
Description: The New Windsor Historic District comprises the majority of the town of New Windsor, located in west central Carroll County, Maryland. The district contains a wide variety of domestic, commercial, public, educational, and religious resources reflecting the development of the town from its founding in 1796 up to the World War II era. The town is laid out on a grid plan. Domestic resources are characterized by various traditional vernacular forms and popular styles. Most common are 2 or 2 1/2-story center-entrance or center-passage plan dwellings, of both three and five bays, and three-bay side-passage plan houses. Several examples of the Pennsylvania Farmhouse plan, with two central doors, exist in New Windsor. The influence of popular styles began to be felt in the post-Civil War period. Queen Anne houses began to gain popularity in the 1870s, and their influence continued into the 20th century, sometimes blending with the Colonial Revival. Early 20th century trends are represented by T-plan houses, with a gable end to the street and a short wing on either side; about half a dozen Bungalows; numerous Foursquare houses; and a few 1 1/2-story, two-bay or three-bay frame "Cottage Style" houses. A number of commercial, industrial, and institutional buildings are important to the architectural character of New Windsor. These include the Dielman Inn, which was established at the major crossroads in the late 18th century, and continued to develop through the 19th. The former Blue Ridge College consists of four historic structures, three of them arranged in an arc along the ridge, overlooking New Windsor Road. Three historic churches and three banks characterize the town. Several industrial buildings formerly stood along the railroad tracks near the southern boundary of the district; most of these have vanished. A survivor is the Fairfield Farms Dairy Creamery. The town hall and firehouse on High Street is an early 20th century brick structure with a flat roof. A variety of outbuildings, most of them on the alleys, contribute to the historic character of New Windsor; foremost among these are numerous carriage houses. The district retains an exceptionally high level of integrity, with relatively few intrusions or non-contributing elements. Significance: New Windsor is a small Piedmont town in western Carroll County, Maryland. Originally laid out in 1797 by Isaac Atlee at the confluence of the Monocacy Road and the Buffalo Road, it experienced steady growth along one main street in the first half of the 19th century. Early in the second half of the 19th century a grid plan was developed, and this was expanded in the early 20th century. Building activity seems to have peaked in the period c. 1860-1873 and c. 1898-1915, but in general there was steady growth in the intervening years. Much of this building was in the local vernacular of Carroll County, but this began to change considerably in the 1870s and 1880s, as nationally popular architectural styles began to exert an influence on New Windsor's streetscapes. Thus, New Windsor is significant for its reflection of Piedmont town development, local building practices and the influence of national architectural trends on these traditions. This infrastructure illustrates the way of life of a community from the formative period of Carroll County, ca. 1796, to the beginning of the second World War in 1941. In addition, unlike most towns in Carroll County, New Windsor developed not only as a focal point for the surrounding farm community, but also served as a summer resort town for people from Baltimore and Washington from its beginning.

District Resources (225) (193 contributing, 22 non-contributing)

From associated listing in National Register nomination form. C = Contributing, NC = non-contributing, blank = not evaluated.

AddressStatusResource Name and MIHP (if any)
119-121 Main StreetC 
127 Church StreetC 
120 Church StreetC 
122 Church StreetC 
211 Church StreetC 
203 Church StreetC 
205 Church StreetC 
136 Church StreetCCARR-1429 -- Frank J. Devilbiss House
310 High StreetC 
302 High Street (MD 31)CCARR-551 -- Bixler House
301 Church StreetC 
107 Blue Ridge AvenueC 
222 Main StreetC 
314 Church StreetC 
308 Church StreetC 
415? Main StreetC 
105 Blue Ridge AvenueC 
417 Main StreetC 
419 Main StreetC 
210 Church StreetC 
305 Main StreetC 
403 Church StreetC 
209 Church StreetC 
406 Church StreetC 
407 Church StreetC 
409 Church StreetC 
407 Main StreetC 
409 Main StreetC 
103 Blue Ridge AvenueC 
307 Church StreetC 
300 Church StreetC 
303 Church StreetC 
305 Church StreetC 
408 Church StreetC 
113-115 Church StreetC 
412 High StreetC 
221 Main StreetC 
310 Main StreetC 
115 Old New Windsor RoadC 
308 Main StreetC 
10? Church StreetC 
412 Church StreetC 
313 Main StreetC 
417 Church StreetC 
302 College AvenueC 
124 Main StreetC 
320 College AvenueC 
418 Church StreetC 
311 Main StreetC 
203 Maple StreetC 
405 Church StreetC 
304 College AvenueC 
332 College AvenueC 
334 College AvenueC 
304 Church StreetC 
306 Church StreetC 
322 College AvenueC 
324 College AvenueC 
402 Main StreetC 
416 Church StreetC 
212 Main StreetC 
137-141 Main StreetCDielman Inn
College AvenueCCARR-17 -- Old Main (New Windsor, Calvert, and Blue Ridge Colleges)
Church Street and High Street (MD 31)CCARR-169 -- New Windsor Presbyterian Church (Greenwood Congregation)
111 Church StreetCFormer Dunker Church
200 Main Street (MD 31)CCARR-1103 -- St. Paul's U.M. Church
205 Main StreetCBank
209-211? Main StreetCBank
Main StreetCNew Windsor State Bank
Church StreetCOddfellows Hall
Main Street?CFairfield Farms Dairy Creamery
112 Church StreetC 
142 Church StreetC 
404 Main StreetCSchool
High StreetCTown Hall and Firehouse
Green Valley Road (MD 75)CSchool
310 Church StreetC 
233 Main StreetC 
112 Old New Windsor RoadC 
New Windsor Road (MD 31)CCARR-1550 -- Miller's House
1318 New Windsor Road (MD 31)CCARR-1430 -- Hiram Englar House
126 Main StreetCCARR-1490 -- Charles Jones House
401 High StreetC 
114 Church StreetC 
124 Church StreetC 
204 Church StreetC 
304 High StreetC 
305 High StreetC 
308 High StreetC 
133 Main StreetC 
114 Church StreetC 
403 Main StreetC 
128 Main StreetCCARR-1466 -- Bond-Cool-Baile-Otto House
223 Main StreetC 
231 Main StreetC 
126-128 1/2 Church StreetC 
309 Church StreetC 
311 Church StreetC 
312 Church StreetC 
404 High Street (MD 31)CCARR-273 -- Joseph Stouffer House
216 Main StreetC 
312 High Street (MD 31)CCARR-272 -- Jacob Leppo House
311 High Street (MD 31)CCARR-274 -- Jonas Ecker House
309 High StreetC 
414 High StreetC 
131 Church StreetC 
402 Church StreetC 
127 Main StreetC 
235 Main StreetC 
307 Main StreetC 
312 Main StreetC 
406 High StreetC 
313 High StreetC 
411 Main StreetC 
408 High StreetC 
410 High StreetC 
416 High StreetC 
214 Main StreetC 
301 Main StreetC 
410 Main StreetC 
106 Church StreetC 
306 High StreetC 
201? Main StreetC 
411 Church StreetC 
138 Church StreetC 
140 Church StreetC 
315 Main StreetC 
314 Main StreetC 
208-210 Main Street (MD 31)CCARR-934 -- Anders House (Peter Brawner House)
219 Main StreetC 
309 Main StreetC 
207 Main StreetCCARR-1402 -- Sensinig-Ecker House
Springdale RoadCCARR-940 -- Windsor Castle
1020 Green Valley RoadC 
1026 Green Valley RoadC 
1032 Green Valley RoadC 
1038 Green Valley RoadC 
1044 Green Valley RoadC 
1100 Green Valley RoadC 
105 Green Valley RoadC 
107 High StreetC 
204 Main StreetC 
218 Main StreetC 
104 Union Bridge RoadC 
110 Main StreetC 
112 Main StreetC 
120 Water StreetC 
315 College AvenueC 
311 College AvenueC 
305 College AvenueC 
303 College AvenueC 
117 Main StreetC 
115 Main StreetC 
123-125 Main StreetC 
129 Main StreetC 
201 Main StreetC 
209 Main StreetC 
217 Main StreetC 
206 Church StreetC 
105 Church StreetC 
108-110 Church StreetC 
116-118 Church StreetC 
132 Church StreetC 
209 High StreetC 
211 High StreetC 
409 High StreetC 
417 High StreetC 
423 High StreetC 
1313 New Windsor RoadC 
500 High StreetC 
207 Church StreetC 
106 Main StreetC 
109 Church StreetC 
117-119 Church StreetC 
121-123 Church StreetC 
125 Church StreetC 
307 High StreetC 
210 Maple AvenueC 
212 Maple AvenueC 
303 Maple AvenueC 
305 Maple AvenueC 
302 Church StreetC 
317 Main StreetC 
401 Main StreetC 
405 Main StreetC 
401 Church StreetC 
413 Church StreetC 
415 Church StreetC 
507 Church StreetC 
415 Main StreetC 
211 Maple AvenueC 
420 Church StreetC 
507 Main StreetC 
422 Church StreetNC 
301 Maple AvenueNC 
421 Main StreetNC 
503 Main StreetNC 
302 Hillside DriveNC 
410 Church StreetNC 
405 High StreetNC 
204 Maple AvenueNC 
206 Maple AvenueNC 
103 Church StreetNC 
104 Church StreetNC 
301 College AvenueNC 
307 College AvenueNC 
313 College AvenueNC 
101 Blue Ridge AvenueNC 
317 College AvenueNC 
120 Main StreetNC 
103 S. Springdale RoadNC 
105 S. Springdale RoadNC 
107 S. Springdale RoadNC 
109 S. Springdale RoadNC 
206 Main StreetNC 
314A Main Street  
314B Main Street  
316 Main Street  
320 Main Street  
213 Main Street  
Maple Avenue CARR-18 -- Sulphur Springs
New Windsor Road (MD 31) CARR-876 -- Nicodemus Mill, site (Beard & Stremmel Flouring Mill)
227 Main Street  
201 Maple Avenue  
209 Maple Avenue  

 

Return to the National Register Search page