Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: MHT Files, n.d.
Rockville Park Historic District
Inventory No.: M: 26-13
Date Listed: 12/30/2011
Location: Rockville, Montgomery County
Category: District
Period/Date of Construction: 1884-1960
Description: Rockville Park retains the essential physical features that characterized the platting of this residential subdivision in 1884, including streets and alleys associated with the original design. Surrounded by post-WWII turnkey subdivisions, Rockville Park's setting is notable for its open landscape, angled streets, and range of spatial associations that arose from its slow development over time. Lining the streets of the neighborhood are houses in a variety of forms and architectural styles, including Victorian-era residences, American Foursquares, bungalows, and Minimal Traditional houses from the 1950s. The district is adjacent to the Rockville station of the B&O Railroad Metropolitan Branch, the primary impetus for the subdivision's development. The northern boundary of Rockville Park, Baltimore Road, is one of Montgomery County's historic roads; the western boundary is the railroad line. Significance: The Rockville Park Historic District is historically significant for its association with the suburbanization of Rockville precipitated by the extension of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad's Metropolitan Branch in Montgomery County in 1873. The district derives additional significance for its association with the trend toward greater middle class homeownership in the late 19th century. Rockville Park is also significant for its association with three individuals--William Reading, Washington Danenhower, and Joseph Reading early--developers of the subdivision whose business models differed in style and substance. Finally, Rockville Park is architecturally significant as a distinctive neighborhood whose development over time resulted in dwellings of diverse architectural styles representative of their eras. The earliest development began with Reading's "Readington" in 1884. The subdivision was replatted by Danenhower in 1890.
Return to the National Register Search page