Aaron M. Levin
423 West Baltimore Street
423, Baltimore St., W., Baltimore, Baltimore City
The building at 423 West Baltimore Street is a five-story loft structure of the Queen Anne style, located on the south side of West Baltimore Street between Eutaw and Paca Streets in downtown Baltimore City. The neighborhood was a center of Baltimore’s "needle trades" in the late 19th and early 20th century. The building achieved its present configuration in 1893, as the result of extensive alteration of a three-story brick warehouse which existed on the site. Each of the four upper stories is defined by a group of five tall 1/1 sash windows above a narrow spandrel, framed by brick piers. The fourth and fifth stories are distinguished from the lower floors by increased height, reflecting the transition between the previous structure and the new construction. Rectangular transoms are located above the windows on these levels. The building is capped with an elaborate sheet-metal cornice, central dome element, and finials. It retains a high degree of architectural integrity; the storefront retains its important cast-iron elements, and the upper floors are essentially unchanged.
This building is significant for its alteration from a brick warehouse into an elaborate cast-iron-storefront commercial building.