Paul Baker Touart
F. Leonard Wailes Law Office
116-118, East Main Street, Salisbury, Wicomico County
The F. Leonard Wailes Law Office building, erected in 1927, is a two-story, four-bay, double-pile brick building facing north, opposite the Wicomico County Courthouse in a line of early- to mid-20th century commercial buildings. The building is distinguished by the neo-Federal architectural finishes including Flemish and common bond brickwork, with arched window and door openings defining the first floor and four 6/6 windows lighting the second floor. The cornice is trimmed with a finely executed series of tapered modillion blocks. The interior is finished with raised-panel wainscoting and ogee molded backband surrounds. A secondary entrance on the east side of the building opens into a side staircase that rises to the second floor office space.
The F. Leonard Wailes Law Office building is significant for its architectural character. Designed by Salisbury architect W. Twilley Malone and constructed in 1927, the two-story, four-bay brick building is a particularly fine and well preserved example of early-20th century law office design incorporating neo-Federal elements in an adaptation of an urban townhouse form. The exterior is richly detailed with Flemish bond masonry, arched openings with leaded transoms, and a finely crafted modillion cornice apparently derived from a local 19th century source. The building retains the majority of its original interior plan and finishes as well, including raised-panel wainscoting, ogee molded backbands framing windows and doors, and a large built-in safe.