Paula Stoner Dickey
7661, Dam No. 4 Road, Sharpsburg, Washington County
Woburn Manor is a Federal style manor house and farmstead complex. Built around 1820, the house is a 2 1/2 story stuccoed stone dwelling with a gable roof, facing north. The stucco, an original feature, is struck to resemble cut block. The front elevation is three bays wide with a central projecting pedimented pavilion which includes the entrance, a one-story pedimented portico, and a projecting pediment with a semicircular fanlight. The entrance portico is supported by stuccoed stone piers with open spans to allow light under the porch into a cellar window. The porch deck is accessed by a flight of wooden steps at the front. The porch roof is supported by round columns, and shelters the entrance, which consists of a double-leafed door beneath an elliptical fanlight. The fanlight also spans a pair of sidelights. Flush panels finish the jambs. Windows have 6/6 pane sash within narrow frames. The cellar windows have 3/3 light sash. The window frames, sash with narrow muntins, and some glass are original. The house is roofed with standing seam sheet metal and there are brick chimneys inside the gable ends. The interior of the house retains the original floor plan and most woodwork, and a late 19th century fully intact dumbwaiter. In addition to the house, the property includes a landscaped yard with terracing to the south, stone outbuildings including an out kitchen and smokehouse, and slave quarters.
Woburn Manor is significant for its Federal style construction and for the designed landscape of the farmstead grouping, including the terraced rise upon which the house was built. Other features of the property significant architecturally are the stone fences bordering the original road through the manor, and the intact collection of outbuildings. The property is also significant for its association with Judge Thomas Buchanan, a respected attorney and Judge of the Circuit Court from 1815-1847. He received Woburn as a land grant of 1,665 acres in 1819, as a resurvey of the original "Wooburn" made for him in 1810 for 1,650 3/8 acres. The architectural features of the house suggest that it and the farmstead were built at the time of Buchanan's acquisition of the property, c. 1819. Woburn is among the later land grants in the county, and it was unusually large for the period.