Bohemian National Cemetery
1300, Horners Lane, Baltimore, Baltimore City
The Bohemian National Cemetery of Baltimore, Cesko-Národní Hrbitov, is an urban-lawn-park style cemetery located atop an elevated site in eastern Baltimore. The landscape is fairly level, with an open design framed by trees at the perimeter. The monuments are arranged in tight rows within a grid formed by the roadways. The location was a center of Bohemian cultural activities. The main entrance to the Bohemian National Cemetery is located on the eastern boundary at Horners Lane and is marked with an iron gate and granite gateway. A secondary entrance is located approximately 450’ south on Horners Lane. The cemetery is comprised of 12,410 acres flanked by wooded land on the north and south, and tree lines on the east and west boundaries of the property. The cemetery contains over 4,000 gravesites marked with a variety of culturally significant headstones illustrating a distinct Czech-Bohemian funerary style. A brick receiving vault, built in 1897, is located towards the rear, west side of the cemetery. A one-story brick caretaker’s cottage and a concrete block carriage house, both circa late 1930s, are located on the south end of the property near the secondary entrance and in an area which historically served as the social, sports, and cultural gathering place for the Bohemian benevolent society. The Grand Lodge Cesko Slovanska Podporujici Spolecnost, (C.S.P.S.) Benevolent Association of Baltimore. The two buildings – the caretaker’s cottage and carriage house – and the two structures – the receiving vault and stone gateway – contribute to the property’s significance.
The Bohemian National Cemetery of Baltimore, Cesko-Národní Hrbitov, is historically significant for its association with Eastern European history in Baltimore, Maryland. The site is one of the first and most visible signs of the Czech and Slovak community in Baltimore, built in 1884 by the Bohemian Cemetery Company of the Grand Lodge C.S.P.S. to provide a burial grounds and social gathering place for immigrants. It has been an essential part of the Czech-Bohemian community since its inception, serving not only as a cemetery, but also as a multi-cultural gathering place. The Baltimore chapter of the Grand Lodge C.S.P.S. still exists today and continues its mission of preserving the community’s culture, establishing and preserving both a manuscript and an artifact collection, and maintaining the cemetery.