9000, North Point Road (MD 20), Edgemere, Baltimore County
Of 2 ½ story height, the Todd Farmhouse is of brick construction and is three bays in width. Although initially of a Federally inspired plan, later Italianate alterations dominate its present exterior appearance. The steeply pitched gable roof has prominent cross gables at both the front and rear (north and south) elevations. Both the eaves and gables have heavily bracketed cornices. Each cross gable contains one round-head window. The base of each gable is marked by three courses of stepped brick, the latter a fragment of the original cornice. Two interior chimneys project from the main roof at the east end. All five principal windows of each façade retain 6/6 pane sash. At both of these elevations stand one-story farm porches with squared posts and simple, two-part, arched brackets. At the west end of the house stand two later additions. One, a rectangular, two-story, three-bay wing, joins the west end of the main house flush with its north façade. It is lower in height than the main house and has small window openings framing sash of 6/6 panes. The centered entrance door is sheltered by a simple pedimented porch. To the rear (south) wall of this addition stands a smaller, two-story wing, which has a projecting three-window bay of the same height. This addition was probably built when the mid-19th century alterations were made to the main house. It has a nearly flat roof that slopes away from the west end of the main house. The floor plan of the main house consists of an end hall and flanking double parlor. The rectangular addition contains a hall and kitchen. The smaller wing with the projecting bay contains the present dining room. To the east of the main house stand several farm buildings. A family cemetery also exists on the property.
The importance of the Todd House rests more on its location than any other factor. The industrial expansion, especially that associated with Bethlehem Steel, has so changed the environs that the Todd House is one of the very few 19th century farm houses extant on Patapsco Neck. It holds local significance as a direct link to the area’s agricultural past. However, in any other are the Todd House would merit recognition. The house contains much original (c. 1830) work and is in a good state of preservation. The Italianate alterations compromise little of the original structure, but rather add to its architectural value. The view of the south of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge adds to the merit of the site. The Todd family has owned the property since 1664. During the Battle of North Point the British burned the Todd’s house. Thomas Todd had ridden to the American lines to warn them of the British advance. The family built a new house (after 1816) purportedly on the older foundation.