MHT File Photo
Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station, Oakland
East Liberty Street, Oakland, Garrett County
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station in Oakland is a large brick structure with a two-story central section and one-story wings extending from each end along the railroad tracks. The roof on this single story level runs practically around the whole building, offering a sheltering overhang. This roof is supported by large ornamental brackets on brick corbels. Asymmetrical in plan, the second story roof generally parallels the lower main roof, but it is interrupted at right angles by a brick and half-timbered gable roof, whose gable ends bear the inscription "AD 1884". Below this half-timbered, pedimented gable end is a three-part window with stone voussoirs. Also jutting from this upper roof on the track side is a circular tower (the building's most notable feature) topped with a conical roof. Most windows have granite sills and brick or stone voussoirs in the lintels. The upper sash of most of the windows is partly filled with stained glass. Perhaps the unifying feature is the brick, which at the same time is incredibly varied in its use. There are recesses and projections of various shapes and sizes, brick corbels and cornices, incised bricks in the chimney, and several different kinds of molded bricks, all employed in a most imaginative way.
The Oakland Railroad Station is architecturally the finest building in the town. Its prominence indicates the importance of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad to the development of Oakland and Garrett County as a resort area. In 1878 after its venture with the Queen City Hotel in Cumberland had proved successful, the B & O erected a resort hotel in Oakland and in 1884 constructed this station to welcome visitors to the resort town. In addition to its role in the economic development of the region, the Oakland Railroad Station is one of the finest remaining examples in Maryland of a Queen Anne style railroad station. Probably designed by the Baltimore architectural firm of Baldwin and Pennington, it has many characteristics of the style: the incised bricks; the picturesque massing; the mixing of materials, e.g. fishscale shingles, brick set against stone; and a sense of texture. The depot incorporates the spirit of the Queen Anne Revival present in America and in England. Despite the diversity of materials and shapes, the station has a great deal of dignity and a monumentality which reflects its importance in the rise of the county.