Paul Baker Touart
Fairmount Road (MD 361), Upper Fairmount, Somerset County
Tudor Hall is a 2 1/2 story house, three bays wide by three deep. The large, beaded clapboard dwelling sits on a raised brick foundation of Flemish bond, facing south towards the Big Annemessex River. The south facade has a center door flanked by 12/12 sash windows, and three 12/12 sash windows on the second floor. The cornice has scrolled modillions with rosette blocks on the soffit at the corners and between each modillion. There are two 6/6 sash gable-roofed dormers on either side of the gable roof, and corbeled interior end chimneys. Remnants of four brick piers that once supported a porch stand south of the house. The north side is essentially the same as the south, but without an entrance. The west gable end elevation is an asymmetrical facade distinguished by an expansive Flemish bond brick firewall framed by a molded surround. The first and second floors have three 9/9 sash windows, and small 6/6 sash windows light the attic. The east gable end has the same brick firewall as the west, partially covered by a shed-roofed porch that is partially enclosed. The shed roof protects a doorway which was cut through the brick firewall to allow a back entrance into the northeast room, previously used as a dining room. Formerly attached to the east gable end was a single-story, three-bay frame colonnade that joined a two-story brick kitchen to the main house. It appears from historic photographs that the colonnade was probably added at a slightly later date, c. 1810-1830. On the interior, the first floor is divided into four rooms, three of which open off a large squarish stair hall. The quarter-turn stair has stringer decoration in the form of carved flowers, and paneled wainscoting along with a molded cornice trim the walls. Raised six-panel doors, framed by bold crossetted surrounds, open into the various rooms. By far the most elaborately finished space is the parlor, which occupies the northwest room. Centered on the west wall is a high Federal-style mantel covered with complex gougework patterns and unusual moldings. Located on the center frieze tablet is a carved basket of flowers. Not only is the cornice trimmed with modillion blocks, but the lower edge is also finished with a rope molding. The room is fitted with paneled wainscoting, and the doors and windows are framed by bold crossetted surrounds. The most dynamic feature of the second floor is the paneled soffit that divides the passage.
Tudor Hall (also called the Lockerman House and the Dr. Ballard House) is an architecturally significant structure because it is a mixture of two building styles which were popular in Somerset County in the late eighteenth century: the Pocomoke River style and the Annemessex River style. Tudor Hall also derives architectural importance from its brick colonnade, now in ruins.