Jennifer K. Cosham
3411, Uniontown Road, Uniontown, Carroll County
The Weaver-Fox House is located at 3411 Main Street (Uniontown Road) in the picturesque village of Uniontown, seven miles west of Westminster. The architectural styling of the Weaver-Fox House is that of a simplified Victorian Italianate villa. Two stories high with a hipped roof, it has a tongue-and-groove board sheathed exterior with rusticated quoins on all four corners, a deep overhanging roof cornice and, on the roof, two chimneys flanking a rectangular, hipped roof cupola. The five bay street façade is embellished with modillioned hoods over the door and windows, carved brackets decorating the roof cornice, and stylized arches and brackets on a full length, one-story porch. The centered entrance door and transom is framed by flat pilasters with stylized pseudo-consoles at their base. The large (floor to ceiling) first floor windows and the smaller windows of the second floor all have 2/2 pane sash and louvered blinds. On the west end of the house, positioned north of center, is a two-story cantilevered bay window with brackets and flush molded panels. An absence of openings in the wall in the same area of the east end suggests a similar treatment might have been planned but was never executed. The three remaining windows of the side elevations continue the treatment of those of the façade except that the sash is of 4/4 panes. The cornice brackets of the façade, however, are not continued on the sides of the house. The ground level slopes down toward the rear of the house to give a full exposure to the brick-walled basement on the south elevation. A small, shuttered, 6/6 sash window at the basement level of each side elevation provides light and ventilation to the long summer kitchen occupying the rear (south) half of that level. Including the fully exposed basement, the rear elevation is three stories high. Centered on the wall is a two-story frame extension built to contain bathrooms. Supported by one-story iron posts, it is covered with later "German siding." Centered beneath this addition is the cellar entrance, flanked by two 6/6 sash windows. On the two floor levels above the basement are four windows with simple, unornamented hoods, louvered blinds, and 2/2 sash, two on each floor level flanking the bathroom wing.
The Weaver-Fox House is a fine example of Victorian village architecture made even more notable by a large quantity of original furnishings and a location in a town still 19th century in appearance. Built during the years 1874 and 1875 as the home of Dr. Jacob J. Weaver, Jr., a country physician, the house was constructed in the style of the time and equipped with the most modern conveniences. It was furnished with pieces, also in the Victorian style, that were for the most part made by the many local cabinetmakers living in the area. Dr. Weaver was a prominent man in Uniontown and the surrounding rural community and his house and its contents were a reflection of that position.