Weiskittel-Roehle Burial Vault
Loudon Park Cemetery, Baltimore, Baltimore City
The Weiskittel Burial Vault is located in the northwest corner of Section P of the Loudon Park Cemetery in Baltimore. It is a rectangular structure made of cast iron built into the side of a hill. The façade (west side) of the vault was constructed to look like ashlar masonry and is painted gray. Pilasters with Victorian trim support a parapet with rectangular corner blocks and a rectangular plaque centered above the inscription, A. WEISKITTEL. The round-arched entrance is centrally placed within a molding. The pair of iron doors (unpainted) were executed in a curvilinear leaf motif. The interior consists of a barrel vault with a box at the rear which contains two rows of rectangular plaques naming the deceased.
The Weiskittel Burial Vault is interesting as an example of one of the many varied uses to which cast iron was put in the last quarter of the 19th century. It was made as the tomb of Anton W. Weiskittel, a Baltimore iron founder who died in 1884. His firm was known as A. Weiskittel & Son, Stove Foundry, and was located at Aliceanna and Washington Streets in Fells Point. Weiskittel used the means at his disposal to create an impressive-looking vault that appeared to be made of stone. The architectural details are attempted copies of Greek forms executed in a Victorian style. Others buried in the vault are Margaret Weiskittel (1912); Anton W. Weiskittel (1925); Louis L. Roehle (1907); Martha W. Roehle, wife of Louis (1912); and Emma Carmine Weiskittel (1966).