MHT File Photo
Wye Mills Centreville Road (MD 662), Wye Mills, Queen Annes County
The original brick structure at Wilton, built c. 1749-1770, was a three-bay, 2 1/2 story block, approximately 22' x 26', facing a southerly direction, and with a 14' x 20' frame kitchen wing attached to the east gable (now gone, but described in the 1798 Federal Tax List). There is a single chimney on the east gable of this section, serving three diagonal, corner fireplaces--one each in the two principal first-floor rooms, and one in the rear chamber on the second floor. A cellar is beneath this portion of the house. The bricks of the facade and west gable of the earlier section of the house are laid up in Flemish bond, with very fine double-struck joints; both rising and bedding. The rear wall and west gable are laid up in common bond, one course of headers to three courses of stretchers; the joints on these two walls are single-struck. C. 1800 a major brick addition was made to the house, attaching to the south facade, at right angles to the original structure. The addition is two stories with an attic, but no cellar. A chimney on the south gable serves two fireplaces, one in the great room on the first floor and one in the master chamber above. The brickwork of the addition is Flemish bond with struck joints on the facade and common bond (one course of headers to three courses of stretchers) on the gable and rear walls.
Wilton is significant for family associations with prominent figures in early Maryland society and politics, and for its role in the development of the village of Wye Mills. The house is also notable for its architecture. Although not as large as the houses of the upper gentry which were built in the same period, the quality of workmanship is exceptionally fine in the earlier portion (c. 1749-1770), both in masonry and woodwork. The plan of the earlier portion--one room wide and two rooms deep, 2 1/2 stories, with an attached frame kitchen wing and cellar--is not typical of residences in the region, so that the novelty of the plan and the high quality of workmanship of Wilton place it in a somewhat unusual category. Adding to its architectural interest is the large addition to the residence, made c. 1800. While one would hesitate to describe such an addition executed in this manner to the principal facade of an older, and important, house as unique, it is certainly distinctive and unusual. The quality of workmanship in the addition is also high, and the obvious shift from the earlier style of interior trim in the older section of the house to a Federal theme (e.g. reeded pilasters on the mantel in the new parlor) is noteworthy.