Paula Stoner Dickey
Marsh Pike, Hagerstown, Washington County
Long Meadows is a 2-story, brick and stone dwelling painted yellow with green trim. The west three bays of the brick section are original, the remaining brick structure having been added about 1908. A 1 1/2-story rubble fieldstone section, three bays in length, extends from the east end of the brick section. Perpendicular to the stone section is a 1 1/2-story frame addition. The entire complex has gambrel roofing. The walls of the brick structure are set on stone foundations which are not readily visible above ground level. Bricks at the front or south elevation are laid in Flemish bond while the side and rear walls display common bonding. Windows are single-pane double hung sash with louvered shutters on the front elevation. Those of the two west bays of the rear elevation contain 6/6 sash, and relatively modern 6/6 sash are present in the stone and frame sections. Smaller half windows are set just above ground level at the front and rear elevations. All are topped with flat brick arches. The roofline is punctuated with a series of dormers which display detail work from the 1908 period. The main entrance is located in the central bay of the front elevation, and is rather elaborate in appearance with a broad transom and matching sidelights with diamond panes. The six-panel double doors are flanked with oval attached columns. A one-story entrance porch supported with Doric columns spans the front elevation. A much simpler entrance is present in the central bay of the rear elevation. The roof is covered with sheet metal with a bargeboard set directly against the end walls. The eaves boxing is finished with quarter-round trim. Large double brick chimneys rise from inside the west wall and from the main wall between the first and second bays from the east end. Additional chimneys are present at the interior and inside the end wall of the stone section. In 1908 an extensive remodeling effort was undertaken following a fire which destroyed a two-story, three-bay wooden section of the building. This included the addition of the present eastern three bays of the brick section, designed to match the original brick wing, remodeling of the stone section, modification and addition of dormers and the removal of the large double brick chimneys at the junction of wood and brick sections. The original brick section was altered as little as possible, and retains much of its interior woodwork and doors. Woodwork in the 1908 brick section was made to match that from the older brick section. Fireplace mantels, however, are more elaborate. A few hundred feet south of the house is a large frame gambrel-roofed barn which was built after 1921. Ruins of a stone house and possibly the site of a stone fort also remain on the property.
Long Meadows is significant for its association with several prominent and influential families in Maryland and for the place of its buildings in Washington County's architectural history. The architectural value of the original house has been diminished somewhat by the extensive alteration it received early in this century. The alterations, however, are worthy of note as early 20th century work. The western portion of the brick dwelling has retained, essentially, its original appearance. Particularly outstanding is its gable roof, unusual in Washington County. The exterior and interior appearance of this section would suggest an 1835-1850 building date. It was probably the most recent portion of the original complex. In 1739, Thomas Cresap, who is remembered as an Indian fighter and in the history of the Pennsylvania-Maryland border disputes of the early 18th century, was granted 400 acres which he named Long Meadows. Cresap is said to have erected a stone and log fort over a spring near the March Run. Local historians report that on the east bank of Marsh Run, east of the barn, were numerous loose, cut stones and part of a stone wall which was visible in the 1880s. These ruins are believed by some local historians to have been the remains of Cresap's fort. Stones from the fort are said to have been used in the construction of the barn wall. The property was also owned by members of the prominent Dulany and Bocqueath families.