307, Great Falls Road (MD 189), Rockville, Montgomery County
The Bingham-Brewer House is a two-story brick house dating to 1821. The Flemish Bond front facade (south) is three bays wide, with the entrance in the easternmost bay covered by a one-story, one-bay entrance porch. The original six-panel entrance door is capped by a three-light transom. The porch is supported by square columns, with pilasters to the rear and balustrade railings between, and a simple modillion cornice. The windows are all 6/6 sash with splayed jack arches and louvered shutters. A dog-tooth cornice marks the roof line, but is partly covered by the gutter. A single flush chimney rises from the west gable end of the building, with no openings in the common-bond brick. The east gable end, also common bond, has two elliptically arched basement windows with two rows of soldier bricks forming the lintels. A casement window has been inserted in a central location at the first floor level. A two-story gable-roofed frame wing has been added to the rear of the building. This addition, dating after 1860, probably replaced a shed-roofed one-story original wing. The entire addition, as well as a later enclosed porch which projects at the northwest corner, was originally sheathed in German siding, but is now covered with aluminum. The east facade of the addition is three bays wide. A modern square chimney stack is situated between the first and second bays from the southeast corner. All windows are 6/6 sash. The rear facade of the addition is composed of the three bays of the addition and the fourth projecting bay of the enclosed porch. Fenestration is not aligned and consists of various sized 6/6 sash windows, a single-pane window, and a modern door. The west facade of the addition is built in two bays, with a 20th century door in the enclosed porch section and a 2/2 sash late Victorian window above. In the second bay are 6/6 windows on either floor. On the interior, the first floor plan of the original house consists simply of one room, with a dog-leg stair with closed stringer simple newel post and balusters in the northeast corner. Original trim includes baseboards, mantels, and some doors. Outbuildings on the property include a late-19th century smokehouse, privy, and a late-19th or early-20th century chicken house.
The Bingham-Brewer House is an excellent example of early-19th century Federal residence in Rockville. As Rockville today is a town of predominantly Victorian frame architecture, the house is one of only two visual reminders of the town's development during the Federal period. The house has also been owned by a series of owners with strong associations to Rockville history. These include Julius Bingham, editor of the second Rockville newspaper; William McClenahan, a major organizer of the Rockville Christian Church; the Veirs family, who were local landholders; and the Brewer family, who were influential in Government, as well as legal, commercial, and educational affairs.