Jennifer K. Cosham
11152, Falls Road (MD 25), Brooklandville, Baltimore County
Brooklandwood is located on the grounds of St. Paul’s School for Boys, on the west side of Falls Road. The 5-bay, 2 ½-story central block and two later wings are brick, painted white. The central-block section is original and has appropriate porches and Palladian-style windows forming a symmetrical, functional unit in an otherwise modern boarding school complex. The central block, original ‘A’ roof, running east-west, dormers, long porches, and two second-story level Palladian-style windows are on the north and south elevations, respectively. These facades are symmetrical but lack duplication by omission, on the north elevation, of a pediment similar to that on the south elevation. There is no pediment on the north elevation. Two, 2-story, 35’ long brick wings, attached to the east and west ends respectively, were added at an early date to the central block.
Brooklandwood, built in the mid-1790s, has, during its long history, been associated with affluent Baltimoreans: Charles Carroll of Carrollton, signer of the Declaration of Independence, George Brown, banker, of Alexander Brown & Sons, and Isaac Emerson, the inventor of Bromo-seltzer. Of the notables who have owned the house, Charles Carroll (1737-1832) holds the most scholarly place in having the most political and historical eminence. He is followed by the later owner, Isaac Emerson, whose invention of Bromo-seltzer holds eminence in the field of international gastronomic eloquence. The highly respected financier, George Brown was a third owner; who, as son of the founder and as the second head of the respected banking firm of Alexander Brown and Sons, guided the firm that has been, and is still, responsible for the affluence of many wealthy Baltimoreans.