Michael O. Bourne
King Street (MD 213), Georgetown, Kent County
Valley Cottage is situated on Lot 51 of the original 1737 town plat of Georgetown, on the south side of Princess Stop Street. It is a 2-story gambrel roofed structure consisting of a 42' long 18th century portion with a 16' long extension built in 1954. The entire structure is sheathed with wood weatherboard and is covered with a wood shingle roof. The north facade of the 18th century portion has two doors sheltered by a screen porch. Flanking the porch are two windows with 6/6 sash. There are two shed-roofed dormers on the second floor with three-pane casement windows. Defining the early portion of the house are two interior brick chimneys located within the ends of the original dwelling. The lines of the original structure are carried through the 20th century addition on the west end.
Architecturally Valley Cottage is an important example of vernacular architecture in Georgetown. It is the earliest existing structure there and possesses a good interior. It is also the only surviving log structure in the town. It can be likened to Godlington Manor, Kent County, in its structural development and form, although Godlington had more subsequent additions. Its living room paneling is reminiscent of the work at Mattapex, Kent Island, and the second floor room is like Wright's Chance, Centreville, Queen Anne's County. Log buildings were quite common in Kent County, due to being a less expensive method of construction. Few remain due to the fact that their foundations were frequently of poor quality. Several plank meat houses exist in Kent County and a few parts of dwellings. The earliest part of Knocks Folly is log, as is its neighbor closer to the water. Part of Hinchingham Farm and the Williams House, both in Rock Hall, and Killy Longfords, near Chestertown, are examples of log structures standing in Kent County. With the exception of Hinchingham Farm, the other structures have either been damaged by fire or excessive remodeling. Valley Cottage has been changed very little since its major remodeling in the 18th century. As such, it is a good example of 18th century vernacular architecture, well preserved, and is considered a significant dwelling not only by the town of Georgetown, but also by the county.