Photo credit: PJB , 06/1995

Property Name: Greenfields
Date Listed: 2/11/1972
Inventory No.: CE-16
Location: 6840, Augustine Herman Highway (MD 213), Cecilton, Cecil County

Description: Greenfields is a 2 1/2-story, Georgian style brick dwelling with a hip roof. It is five bays wide and two bays deep with a three-bay, one-story wing off of each side. The facade is laid in Flemish bond; common bond on the other sides. The central door of the front facade has engaged Doric columns and a fanlight in a one-bay pedimented pavilion. The flat-arch lintels over the windows of the facade have superimposed keystones. The lintels are painted white. The sash of the first floor are 12/12 and those of the second floor are 8/12. Interior shutters are fitted in the window jambs throughout the main block. There is a molded watertable and a double band molding of projecting parallel single courses of brick is on the facade only. The wooden cornice is composed of large modillions with guttae and rosettes carved within diamond panels. There is a bullseye window with four keystones within the pediment. The bay adjacent to the main block of each wing contains a double door with an elliptical fanlight and exterior trim. The doors on the east side of the house are trimmed with crosset moldings. The entrance hallway door is slightly off-center, as is the small stair-landing window above. There are three pedimented dormers on the east side of the hip roof. The interior is divided into a central stairhall with four rooms. The wings have one room and hallway in each; the floors are brick. The main section is decorated with period trim, architraves above the fireplaces in the two front rooms, and paneled chimney breasts in the back rooms. On the property there are two small three-bay, one-story brick outbuildings, each with a hip roof, and a brick "necessary house."

Significance: Greenfields' association with Governor Thomas Ward Veazey (Governor from 1836 to 1839) and John Ward, Colonel of the Provincial Militia of Cecil County (1756) are historical evidence of the political and economic affluence possible in county rural areas. The house is also historically significant for its architecture.




close