Michael O. Bourne
Sunnyfield Lane, Pumphrey, Anne Arundel County
The west portion of Sunnyfields is brick, 2 1/2 stories tall, and three bays wide. The east portion is of frame construction, six bays long, and two stories high. The principal facade faces north; along the south side are several one-story frame additions. The earliest portion of the house, the frame section at the east end, apparently dates from about 1785 and contains several original mantels and portions of the original window casings, although windows have been replaced with 1/1 sash. An entrance stands in the third bay from the east end of this section. The brick part on the west apparently was built in 1810. This contains all of its original woodwork--mantels, casings, doors, the staircase, and most of the original wide floorboards. There is also an original plaster ceiling medallion in the first floor hall. Several times during the 19th century the frame portion was modified and enlarged. About 1912 it was altered to reflect current taste and again enlarged. Since 1965, the kitchen and bathrooms have been modified and a family room added on the south side. The north facade of the brick section is laid in Flemish bond, while the other facades are of common bond. The cornices along the north and south walls are three courses of stepped brick. The east wall abuts the earlier frame section. Widely splayed jack arches surmount the front door and two first-floor windows on the north elevation. Jack arches over the other openings in the north and south elevations are moderately splayed and shorter. The east and west gable ends hold only small 4-light windows in the attic gables. The principal entrance is in the easternmost bay of the brick main block. Originally holding a 6-panel door, the upper 4 panels were replaced in the early 20th century by glazing. The door in the south elevation still has its 6 panels. Over the front door is a rectangular 3-light transom. All windows on the north and south elevations have 6/6 sashes. Two gable-roofed dormers with 6/6 sashes pierce the north side of the roof. A flush chimney rises from the west gable end, and an exterior chimney stands against the east gable end, rising through the frame wing on this end.
Sunnyfields embodies the distinctive characteristics of several periods of Maryland architecture: pre-Federal vernacular (original frame wing), high style Federal (brick wing), and early-20th century mass produced Classical Revival (columns and stair added in pre-Federal portion). The fine detailing of the Federal brick section is especially noteworthy. The importance of Sunnyfields is augmented by the fact that it remains well preserved in spite of its being surrounded by dense, post-World War II suburban development.