Michael O. Bourne
2295, , Davidsonville Road (MD 424), Davidsonville Road, Crofton, Anne Arundel County
Linthicum Walks consists of a frame 19th century dwelling (part of which may be 18th century), a mid-19th century meathouse, a frame pre-1815 tobacco barn, and a family cemetery dating to the mid 19th century. The west-facing dwelling was constructed in two sections. The original section is frame, 1 1/2 stories high, 3 bays wide, and one room deep, with a large exterior stone and brick chimney centered on the north gable wall. This portion may date to the late 18th century. A large, c. 1840, frame addition to the south gable consists of a 2 1/2 story, 3 bay house that is two rooms deep, with a pair of exterior brick chimneys on the south gable wall. A 20th century, two-story frame addition covers the rear of the c. 1840 section. The house rests on a stone foundation. The walls are covered with early-20th century wooden shingles, and the gable roofs, over both sections, with asphalt shingles. There are two principal entrances on the front (west) facade--one in the south bay of the original section and the other in the north bay of the c. 1840 addition. Windows in the original section are 9/6 sash and 6/6 sash in the addition. The original section has a pair of 6/6 gable-roofed dormers on the facade and the rear, east, elevation. Both sections of the house retain considerable early decorative detail. Interior trim in the original section, including chairrail and architraves, is typical of the Federal period but generally more common c. 1820-1830; the mantels and architraves in the later section are consistent with the period 1830-1850. To the east of the house is a small frame meathouse with a gable roof. A large tobacco house, constructed with hand-hewn and pit-sawn timber, stands northeast of the dwelling and the family cemetery is located to the south.
The dwelling and farm buildings at Linthicum Walks are significant for their architecture, embodying the distinctive characteristics of the vernacular architecture of rural Tidewater Maryland of the late 18th through mid 19th centuries. Both construction phases of the house at Linthicum Walks represent house forms typical of Tidewater Maryland architecture of their respective periods, and retain integrity of design, materials, and workmanship. The outbuildings, including a mid-19th century frame meathouse and a frame tobacco house constructed before 1815, are also significant. Few examples of 19th century agricultural buildings survive in Tidewater Maryland (and fewer still in western Anne Arundel County). The tobacco house is especially noteworthy, as one of only three pre-1815 tobacco houses surviving in the county; its construction, incorporating tilted-false-plate roof framing and employing hewn and pitsawn timbers and wrought nails, exemplifies 18th century practice, and the building reflects the importance of tobacco culture in the early economy of Anne Arundel County.