Photo credit: C. Crawford , 10/1981

Property Name: Kaese Mill
Date Listed: 9/13/1984
Inventory No.: G-II-B-024
Location: Fish Hatchery Road, Accident, Garrett County

Description: Kaese Mill, constructed in 1868, is a 2 1/2-story frame water-powered grist mill. It is powered by a 20 horsepower iron overshot wheel manufactured by the Fitz Water Wheel Company of Hanover, Pennsylvania. The wheel is 16' in diameter and is located on the south elevation. The mill rests on a concrete and stone foundation, and is three bays wide and four bays deep. Entrances are on the north and west elevations and the windows all have 6/6 sash. The walls are covered with weatherboard siding and the steeply pitched gable roof with standing seam metal. A mill race runs from Bear Creek, east of the mill, under Fish Hatchery Road, and directs water into a wooden flume which begins 300' east of the mill. The flume was once supported by a wooden frame; this has been replaced with a fieldstone base. The mill, still occasionally used to grind buckwheat, retains nearly all of its late-19th and early-20th century equipment, including the French-made stone burrs with straight furrows, steel rollers, sifters, bolting reels, grain hoppers, and a balance scale. In fact, the Kaese Mill is virtually unchanged either on the exterior or the interior and is in good condition and still functional.

Significance: The Kaese Mill near Accident in Garrett County is the only fully operational water-powered grist mill in Maryland. It is unaltered, in good operating condition, and displays a virtual museum of mill machinery inside. It was built in 1868 by Henry August Kaese, Sr., an immigrant miller from Germany who settled in Garrett County shortly after the Civil War. Kaese Mill, like many of the other grist mills which once stood throughout Garrett County, was an important economic and trading center. Many of these mills were also centers of social and political life in their immediate areas by virtue of the fact that they served as U.S. Post Offices. Kaese Mill alternated this honor for many years with the Engles Mill which stood nearby, depending on which political party was in power. The mill is still operated by descendants of Henry Kaese.




close