MHT File Photo
George Maddox Farm
River Road, Manokin, Somerset County
The George Maddox Farm comprises an intact complex of 15 agricultural buildings and structures dating from c. 1800 through the early 20th century. The complex includes six pre-Civil War resources: a frame granary, two dairies (one frame, the other brick), a log smokehouse, another (ruined) log outbuilding, and a frame kitchen/quarter. Seven resources reflect the industrial technology of the post-war period, including a barn, two garages, tenant house, privy, well house, and chicken house. The main house and the connected corn cribs contain sections from both periods. Centered among the outbuildings is a c. 1880-1900 2 1/2-story irregular-plan Victorian house, roughly cruciform in plan. An early-19th century single-story kitchen extends from the back of the house. Facing south, this Queen Anne-style dwelling stands on a partially excavated brick cellar and is covered by a steeply pitched asphalt shingle roof. A combination of plain weatherboards and fishscale shingles cover the exterior walls. The southern irregular elevation of the house serves as the entrance facade, while a turned-post porch with sawn brackets partially covers the first floor. The gable end is two bays across with 2/2 sash windows and louvered shutters on both floors. Two 2/2 sash windows pierce the attic story and flank the interior end brick chimney. The chimney stack is finished with a decorative corbeled cap, and the uppermost portion of the gable end is sheathed with fishscale shingles. The eaves are extended, and a decorative bracket is found at each lower corner. The southeast corner of the cross-plan contains a double-leaf paneled door and an adjacent 2/2 sash window on the east wall. The second floor is lighted by two 2/2 sash windows, while the attic is lighted by a 2/2 sash dormer. The east gable end has a slightly jettied second floor which is decorated with sawn brackets. The first and second floors are pierced by paired 2/2 sash windows, and the attic is lighted by a round-arched 2/2 sash window. The first floor window glass of the entrance bay is etched. The northeast corner of the house is similarly detailed and contains the shed-roofed cellar entrance. An interior end brick stack rises from the north gable end and is finished with the same decorative cap. The north end of the kitchen wing has an exterior brick chimney. The kitchen wing and hyphen have 6/6 sash windows. The west gable en dof the main house has a single 2/2 sash window on each floor and two-pane attic light. An internal brick chimney rises from the center of the west end. The property also retains late-19th to early-20th century landscaping features, including a boxwood gardens.
The George Maddox Farm is significant in comprising perhaps the most complete collection of 19th century agricultural buildings and structures surviving on the lower Eastern Shore of Maryland. Farm buildings, in general, have an extremely high attrition rate due to changing agricultural practices. As a result, only fragments of complexes with one or two isolated structures characterize Eastern Shore farms. The Maddox Farm is significant not only as an intact group of farm buildings, but also as a complex which represents both the pre- and post-industrial periods in agricultural history. Out of the 15 resources that comprise the group, six predate the Civil War, and seven postdate the war. The house and connected corn cribs have sections belonging to both periods. Differences in form, construction, and use of these buildings and structures reflect changing patterns of agricultural life brought about by the technological developments of the mid 19th century.