Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Kenneth M. Short, 04/1995
Stoner-Saum Farm
Inventory No.: CARR-1435
Date Listed: 12/6/1996
Location: 1500 McKinstrys Mill Road , Union Bridge, Carroll County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1814
Description: The Stoner-Saum Farm is located at 1500 McKinstry's Mill Road near the settlement of McKinstry's Mills in western Carroll County, Maryland. It is sited on generally flat ground near Sam's Creek. The complex consists of a brick house, a frame bank barn, a brick smokehouse, a stone ice house and summer kitchen, a stone wagon shed, and several other frame farm outbuildings. The house faces east, and is a two-story, five-bay by two-bay structure with a rubble stone foundation, with Flemish bond brick on the east elevation, 5-to-1 common bond brick on the other elevations, and a gable roof of standing-seam metal, with a north-south ridge. On the east elevation, the first story has a center entrance and a four-light transom. There is a wooden box cornice with a bed mold comprising a lozenge molding above a pearl molding. The east elevation has a one-story, three-bay porch with four turned posts, and a half-hip roof of standing-seam metal. The gable ends each have an 8-light oval window. There is an ell on the west end of the house that is three bays by one bay, and has a gable roof of standing-seam metal with an east-west ridge. The northwest cellar west wall has a brick kitchen fireplace. The first story has a center passage with two rooms to the south and one room to the north, plus an ell with one room in it. There is a two-flight run of stairs on the north wall, with a landing at the west end. These stairs have an open stringer with foliate sawn brackets that contain a flower bud. The second story has a center passage with four rooms in the main block and a stair passage. Significance: The Stoner-Saum Farm is significant as an example of a type of farm complex which characterized western Carroll County in the 19th century. the focus of the complex is the c. 1814 brick house, which is traditional in form, but exhibits finer detailing than is typical of farmhouses of the period in the county; some of these details are based on Owen Biddle's, The Young Carpenter's Assistant, published in Philadelphia in 1805. The farm contains an extensive group of outbuildings, most of which probably existed by the 1830s. These include resources which are the only known surviving examples of their type in Carroll County, namely the ice house and the stone wagon shed with battered side walls; in addition, the frame barn is one of few such structures dating from before 1840. The period of significance, c. 1814-c. 1899, encompasses the construction dates of the various domestic and agricultural resources which make up the present complex.
Return to the National Register Search page