Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Elizabeth Jo Lampl, 07/1997
Peter of P. Grossnickel Farm
Inventory No.: F-4-113
Date Listed: 6/24/1998
Location: 11720 Wolfsville Road (MD 17) , Myersville, Frederick County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1840-1850
Description: The Peter of P. Grossnickel Farm consists of a mid-19th century, Greek Revival farmhouse and 13 related buildings and structures. The Peter of P. Grossnickel House is a 2 1/2-story, L-shaped four bay by two bay stone house facing southeast. Supported on a limestone foundation, this center passage, single pile dwelling is extended to the rear by a 1 1/2-story one-bay kitchen wing that is original to the main block. The house's 18" thick walls are built of variegated green and gray limestone, set in a random pattern and infilled with untooled sand mortar. The gable roof of the main block is covered in slate, and the kitchen wing is covered with standing-seam metal. The main facade is three bays wide on the first floor and four bays above. The central entrance, flanked by two 9/6 sash windows, is ornamented with a flat-roofed, dentiled portico in the Greek Revival style composed of four square piers with simple caps, with a balustrade. Two pilasters flank the door. Window sash throughout the main block are 9/6 on the first floor and 6/6 on the second. Small 6-pane windows light the attic. A pair of paneled shutters still exists on the southwest wall of the kitchen wing. Other shutters are louvered wood. The two interior end chimneys have been recently repaired above the roofline with new brick stacks. The kitchen wing features an exterior stone chimney with brick stack, which has been repaired as well. The interior of the house follows a traditional center hall/single pile plan with rear kitchen wing. The house features moldings typical of the Greek Revival period, including Grecian ogee and bead window moldings, and chair rail and baseboard moldings. Several doors, most window moldings, chair rails, and the central stair, are grained. This honey-colored graining was designed to simulate oak and is in excellent condition. The graining appears to be an alteration of the house, probably of early-20th century vintage. Along with the c. 1840-1850 dwelling, the property features an 1881 tenant house with corresponding barn, spring house, and washhouse/privy; an 1884-1897 bank barn; a pre-1830 granary; a mid-19th century (or later) wood shed; late 19th century hog pen/chicken house; a pre-1830 beehive oven; a late 19th century smokehouse; a spring house with a c. 1900 Late Victorian cottage addition; and early 20th-century concrete block milk house; and a log summer kitchen of unknown date. Significance: The farm is significant for the number of associated structures and their overall integrity. The farm is one of four known properties in the immediate vicinity which were associated with the Grossnickel or Grossnickle, family, one of the German families who settled the valley in the early-mid 19th century and who also were instrumental in founding the Grossnickle Church of the Brethren. Each of the four extant Grossnickel farms features a 2 1/2-story, extremely well-constructed stone farmhouse from the mid-19th century and related outbuildings. The Peter of P. Grossnickel Farm is distinguished among the other family properties by its comprehensive collection of outbuildings. It is located upon the tract known as "Six Daughters," originally purchased by Peter of P's father, Bernhard Peter Grossnickel in the early 19th century.
Return to the National Register Search page