Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Merry Stinson, 01/1999
Piper House
Inventory No.: WA-II-703
Date Listed: 10/28/1999
Location: 200 E. Main Street (MD 34), Sharpsburg, Washington County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1792-1804, c. 1834
Description: The Piper House stands on the southeast corner of Main and Church Streets in Sharpsburg. The two-story limestone main block, constructed c. 1792-1804, faces north to Main Street. A two-story brick wing, added c. 1834, extends to the rear, running parallel to Church Street on the west. The main block of the house measures five bays long by two bays deep. The wing is also five bays long. Each section is covered by a galvanized metal gable roof. Windows of 9/6 sash light the entire house and transoms top all exterior doors except the rear hall door. A hip-roofed porch shelters the main central entrance. Another porch covers the ell's entrance in the first bay of the west side. A two-story galleried porch runs along the entire east side of the wing. Significance: The Piper House is significant as an exceptionally well preserved example of a type of vernacular domestic architecture which characterized Washington County in the late 18th and early 19th century. Defining features of the type include finely-crafted masonry utilizing the distinctive native limestone of the region, a symmetrical fa├žade, center-passage plan, galleried service wing, and crossetted architrave trim. The Piper House is one of four similar late 18th century limestone houses in Sharpsburg, and is distinguished among them by its outstanding state of preservation and the relatively expansive nature of its brick service wing.
Return to the National Register Search page