Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Jennifer K. Cosham, 04/26/2006
Linganore Farm
Inventory No.: F-5-125
Date Listed: 5/5/2000
Location: 6229 Linganore Road , Frederick, Frederick County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1800; c. 1850s-60s
Description: The principal dwelling on Linganore Farm is a large two-story, five-bay L-shaped brick house dating from the 1850s-60s and showing influence of the Greek Revival and Italianate styles. The house displays all stretcher brickwork at the front elevation, a five-bay facade with a central entrance. Windows have 2/2 pane sash with operable pairs of shutters with fixed louvers. Doors have paneled jambs. The front door has four panels with heavy molded trim, a broad transom, and sidelights embellished with brackets. Two windows at the first story front, one on either side of the door, have jib openings, which led onto a three-bay-wide front porch. An outline in the brickwork indicates the original span of the porch, which was removed some time ago. A rear wing is six bays in length with an inset two-story porch along its south elevation, and a one-story screened porch on the north side. The south porch is supported with square columns with collar moldings near the top, and brackets. The house has a prominent bracketed cornice extending the whole way around the building. Brick chimneys with corbeled tops are located inside each gable end. Also on the property are the ruins of a brick smokehouse, a stone root cellar and a two-story, three-bay brick secondary house which appears to date from the early 19th century. This house is constructed into sloping ground, so that two full stories are exposed at the front (west) elevation and one at the rear. It has central entrances at the ground and main levels, the upper entrance opening onto a two-story porch across the front elevation. Main level windows have 9/6 light sash, while the upper story, gable end, and ground level windows have 6/6 light sash. Both houses on the property face west toward Linganore Road and toward the site of the Linganore Mill, which was located on the east bank of the Monocacy River across the road from the houses. The buildings are set on landscaped grounds, although the landscaping has overgrown. The lawn in front of the house is terraced and defined with large boxwoods; the pattern of formal landscaping is still evident in the terraced front lawn, boxwood hedges, and circular driveways and walkways. Significance: The Linganore Farm is significant as a representative example of farmstead grouping associated with agriculture and grain production in Frederick County. Agriculture, with production of small grains, particularly wheat, formed the backbone of the country's economy in the 18th and 19th centuries. Grain production, milling, and distilling; the decline of these industries in the late 19th and early 20th century, and the consequent shift to other agricultural or economic pursuits are distinctive themes in the history of Frederick County. Linganore Farm made the shift from milling by converting to a resort known as the Linganore Hills Inn after 1891. The Linganore farmstead buildings are also significant for their architectural expression. The main house retains woodwork, marbleized slate mantelpieces, and decorative plasterwork from the Greek Revival and Italianate styles. The secondary house illustrates vernacular building traditions with a basic hall and parlor plan whose antecedents extend back to the colonial period, although the building was constructed in the early 19th century.
Return to the National Register Search page