Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: William D. Morgan, 06/1969
St. James Church
Inventory No.: AA-258
Other Name(s): Old Herring Creek, St. James, Lothian
Date Listed: 3/7/1973
Location: Solomons Island Road (MD 2) , Tracys Landing, Anne Arundel County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1763
Description: St. James Church is a nearly square brick building of all-header brick, with a simple wooden box cornice beneath a hipped roof with a very slight bell-cast to it. There is a simple water table of projecting brick at the level of the side window sills. There are four round-arched windows on each side of the nave, six of which are filled with stained glass (later memorials). Stained glass also fills the two round-arched windows in the east wall. On the south side, there is an open archway porch with a similar bell-cast roof which was added in 1939. To the rear (southeast) there is a recent brick addition. Adjacent to this is an open arched bell tower post. The south and west entrance doors are divided vertically and are topped by flat elliptical fanlights with radiating muntins. The interior has a coved ceiling, box pews, a Gothic altar and rail, and Decalogue tablets from the early 18th century. The church is surrounded by a burial ground which contains some 17th century graves, notably those of Christopher Birckhead and his wife, her stone of 1665 "being the oldest known in Maryland." Significance: The church is built on the site of two previous churches (1689 and pre-1692). The cemetery contains some 17th-century graves and includes one of the oldest known tombstones (1665) in the state.
Return to the National Register Search page