Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Kenneth M. Short, 01/2000
Inventory No.: HO-85
Date Listed: 12/13/2000
Location: 13370 Brighton Dam Road , Clarksville, Howard County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1844
Description: Montrose is basically a five bay wide, two bay deep, and 2 1/2 story stone structure with two dormers set into the gable roof on its south elevation and wide brick chimneys set into its east and west walls. Six wooden steps lead to an open hip-roofed one-story porch on the south, supported by four posts decorated with scrolled brackets, which covers the central three bays and the central entrance, which is surmounted by a three-light transom and flanked by four-light sidelights. Windows on the original section of the house are 6/6 sash with shutters. The gable-roofed dormer windows hold 6/6 light sash. The west elevation holds a first floor window with 6/6 lights and two third floor 4-light casement windows. A four bay wide, two bay deep, 2 1/2 story shingled frame addition springs from the north wall of the original structure with its gabled roof running north-south and intersecting with the gable roof of the original structure. The east facade of the wing has a cross gable with a round-arched 2/2 sash window. This facade holds two first-floor and three second-floor 2/2 light windows. The entrance door surmounted by a transom is located on the south bay and approached by stairs leading up to a one-story shed-roofed open porch lying on the north wall of the original structure. In addition a two bay wide, three bay deep, three story high shingled frame addition lies on the north wall of the first addition. A one-story shed-roofed shingled one bay wide, one bay deep addition springs from the east wall of this last north wing. Three first-floor windows, three second-floor double windows, and two third-floor windows are placed in the north wall of the three story addition, all 6/6 sash. While its east wall holds two similar second-floor windows and one third floor 2/2 light window. Its west wall holds a first floor entrance and a four-part window (each part a 6/6 light window), and a single third-floor 2/2 light window. All additions have heavy stone foundations. Tall square brick chimneys are located in the north bay of the east wall of the first addition and on the west side of its north wall. An additional brick chimney is located in the center of this roof. The west wall of this addition is similar to the east wall but holds an oriel window in its south bay and two gable-roofed dormer windows with full arched 2/2 light windows. A three bay wide, one bay deep, one story log house lies east of the main structure with central west door flanked by 6/6 light windows. A shingled 1 1/2 story cottage lies north of this with barns and outbuildings lying northwest of them both. Significance: Built in 1844 by Dr. William H. Hardey, prominent physician and secessionist in the Civil War, Montrose holds strong ties with the Randall family of Maryland. One of Dr. Randall's six children married John Randall, brother of James Ryder Randall, the author of "Maryland, My Maryland!" Rene Le Blanc, a character in Longfellow's "Evangeline," and Robert Hooper of Marblehead, Massachusetts, whose family included a signer of the Declaration of Independence, are also numbered among the family ancestors. A fine example of Howard County's Georgian architecture, Montrose was added to around 1898 when Virginia Hardey, sister of Mrs. Randall bought the property and opened a boarding school. Its association with James Ryder Randall ensures its national as well as its local historical significance.
Return to the National Register Search page