Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Paul Seder, 05/2003
Hammond Wood Historic District
Inventory No.: M: 31-38
Date Listed: 12/15/2004
Location: Silver Spring, Montgomery County
Category: District
Period/Date of Construction: 1949-51
Architect/Builder: Architect: Charles M. Goodman, Builders: Paul Hammond & Paul I. Burman, Landscape Architect: Lou Bernard Voigt
Resources: 58 (55 contributing, 3 non-contributing)
Description: The Hammond Wood Historic District is a suburban development dating to 1949-51, consisting of 58 Contemporary single-family houses nestled in a tract of heavily wooded, rolling land. The site purchased by Paul I. Burman and Paul Hammond, developers, is 15 acres. The community is located southwest of Veirs Mill Road and across the street is a smaller Charles Goodman-designed neighborhood, Hammond Hill, built in 1949-50. The houses in Hammond Wood are on portions of Veirs Mill Road, College View Drive, Pendleton Drive, and Highview Avenue. An earlier developer's subdivision plan to bisect the subject parcel with a straight-line road was immediately abandoned by Goodman and Hammond Homes when they took charge of planning for the development, because the linear plan would have involved the removal of many old trees. Instead, the main road into the community, Pendleton Drive, was curved, and several cul-de-sacs, including Highview Court, were introduced. Goodman's plan permitted more conformance to the topography and a better economic use of the land. Hammond Wood is located at the apex of a triangle bounded by Veirs Mill Road to the east, Connecticut Avenue to the west, and University Avenue to the south. The community is approximately one mile north of the 'downtowns' of both Kensington and Wheaton. Lots in the sloping terrain generally vary from 1/6 to 1/4 acre, with every house individually sited according to the topography of the land and in relation to its neighbors. All houses have been carefully angled to the street and arranged both to maximize privacy and to provide for a southern exposure for the dominant glass wall facade. Hammond Wood retains a high level of integrity, both in its plan and landscape, and in its architecture. Houses are largely intact and the Goodman 'form' can be clearly distinguished; alterations generally conform to Goodman's Contemporary palette. Three houses in the neighborhood have been extensively redesigned since the original construction (all three by architect Harold Esten, who had once worked in Goodman's office), and as a result are no longer considered contributing "Goodman" buildings. While Goodman's firm did the overall site and landscape planning, the firm itself did not provide individual landscape plans to homeowners. As at Hollin Hills, Goodman's premier Fairfax County community, Goodman did make it possible for owners to commission his friend, the landscape architect Lou Bernard Voigt, for landscape plans. Stephen Kraft, an original owner, remembers that Voigt prepared a plan for his Goodman house for $10 on the back of an envelope. Voigt specified Arborvitae and native rhododendron. Other popular vegetation in the subdivision include: forsythia, dogwood, beech, maples, tulip poplars, and hemlocks. The landscaping generally remains the same today with some decline in the dogwoods due to a disease affecting native species. Significance: The Hammond Wood Historic District is historically significant as an intact, architecturally cohesive example of Charles Goodman's merchant builder subdivisions in Montgomery County. It is one of only two sizeable developments in Montgomery County where Goodman houses were exclusively built, and where the full scope of his vision for a suburban community can be seen. Contemporary post-World War II housing by Charles M. Goodman is significant in the areas of architecture, community planning and development, and landscape architecture. These postwar buildings and subdivisions are significant indicators of several important patterns of events and architectural ideals. Hammond Wood conveys Charles Goodman's innovation in suburban planning in the metropolitan Washington region in the post-World War II period by telling the story of how pioneering architect/builder teams were redefining the monotonous suburban cultural landscape into enclaves that were overwhelmingly naturalistic. Hammond Wood conveys the best of Goodman's architectural legacy, showcasing his insistence on experimentation, adaptation of European and American modern ideas, and close collaboration with builders. The neighborhood reflects Goodman's contribution to Contemporary architecture through his ever-evolving floor plans; the use of new and used materials in combination; an abundance of technical innovations; an exuberance in the employment of the window wall; and a spare, yet elegant structural expressionism.

District Resources (58) (55 contributing, 3 non-contributing)

From associated listing in National Register nomination form. C = Contributing, NC = non-contributing, blank = not evaluated.

AddressStatusResource Name and MIHP (if any)
11614 College ViewC 
11616 College ViewC 
11618 College ViewC 
11619 College ViewC 
11621 College ViewC 
11700 College ViewC 
11702 College ViewC 
11703 College ViewC 
11704 College ViewC 
11705 College ViewC 
11507 HighviewC 
11508 HighviewC 
11509 HighviewC 
11510 HighviewC 
11511 HighviewC 
11512 HighviewC 
11513 HighviewC 
11514 HighviewC 
11516 HighviewC 
11518 HighviewC 
3418 HighviewC 
3400 PendletonC 
3401 PendletonC 
3402 PendletonC 
3403 PendletonC 
3404 PendletonC 
3405 PendletonC 
3408 PendletonC 
3409 PendletonC 
3411 PendletonC 
3413 PendletonC 
3415 PendletonC 
3417 PendletonC 
3419 PendletonC 
3420 PendletonC 
3422 PendletonC 
11620 Veirs MillC 
11622 Veirs MillC 
11702 Veirs MillC 
11704 Veirs MillC 
3500 WoodridgeC 
3502 WoodridgeC 
3504 WoodridgeC 
11524 HighviewC 
11526 HighviewC 
11528 HighviewC 
11530 HighviewC 
11532 HighviewC 
11534 HighviewC 
11536 HighviewC 
11538 HighviewC 
11540 HighviewC 
3410 HighviewC 
3412 HighviewC 
3414 HighviewC 
3416 HighviewNC 
11520 HighviewNC 
11522 HighviewNC 

 

Return to the National Register Search page