Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: K. Dixon, 10/2004
Whiteford-Cardiff Historic District
Inventory No.: HA-1748
Date Listed: 11/15/2005
Location: Whiteford, Harford County
Category: District
Period/Date of Construction: 1850-1942
Resources: 152 (101 contributing, 37 non-contributing)
Description: The Whiteford-Cardiff Historic District encompasses portions of two communities in northern Harford County that were historically associated with slate production during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The strong Welsh ethnic identity of the area is reflected in the historic district through examples of residential designs that document traditional Welsh vernacular architecture and the adaptation of popular American domestic design. The district extends from the Maryland/Pennsylvania state line south to Whiteford Road and comprises 140 contributing resources. The earliest development in Cardiff was concentrated at the crossroad of Green Marble Road and Main Street. Four vernacular Welsh cottages in this location date to c. 1850. The simple masonry buildings are two-story gable-roof dwellings that occupy a three-bay by one-bay ground plan. The primary entrances are centered in the facades. Windows are located directly under the eaves. Gable-end masonry chimneys are found at each gable. Of the four, two are single-family stone dwellings, one is a stone duplex, and one is a wooden building with transitional characteristics between Welsh cottage design and Victorian period house styles. A detailed 1888 bird's-eye drawing of the area depicts a concentration of two-story dwellings and duplexes in the area. The majority of these dwellings survive. Development north of the crossroads was encouraged in the 1890s by the subdivision of eight residential blocks by the South Delta Land Company northeast of Green Marble Road. This subdivision broke the informal pattern of linear development of individual lots along established roads. Unimproved subdivision lots were sold through the 1940s. Dwellings reflect popular architectural styles, including Queen Anne, Eastlake, and Colonial Revival styles. Infill development focused on Main Street in Cardiff and extended south to encompass linear development in the community of Whiteford. Lots along Main Street immediately south of Green Marble/Slate Ridge Road vary in size and become more uniform south of Slate Ridge School (1557 Main Street). Development in Whiteford is less dense than in Cardiff; a similar pattern of low-scale, single-family dwellings and duplexes was noted. Whiteford dwellings employ a similar Victorian-era and simple Craftsman-style architectural vocabulary; a greater number of mid-20th century ranch dwellings were constructed in Whiteford. The district as a whole is distinguished by the use of slate as a construction material. Slate is used on almost every building in the historic district and is particularly evident on buildings constructed during the district's period of significance between the mid 19th and mid 20th centuries. Character-defining features of the Whiteford-Cardiff Historic District include slate roofs, foundations, window sills and lintels, steps, sidewalks, and hitching posts and fence posts. Cardiff conglomerate, a unique type of stone associated with the Peach Bottom slate deposit, was used for retaining walls along several Main Street addresses and for two of Cardiff's Welsh cottages. Granite was also used in the construction of retaining walls. The sites of several quarries--slate quarries west of Quarry Road and south of Slate Ridge Road and a serpentine quarry at 4610 Green Marble Road--also are significant landscape features of the historic district. Significance: The Whiteford-Cardiff Historic District comprises two unincorporated residential communities located in northern Harford County that historically were associated with the region's slate quarry industry. The two towns were among five towns in northern Maryland and southern Pennsylvania that were occupied by Welsh slate workers. This region is noted for its cohesion and Welsh ethnic identity from the mid 19th century to the mid 20th century. The architecture in the district is significant because it represents the evolution of domestic architecture from the traditional Welsh cottage form to early-20th century American architectural forms. The district was constructed between 1850 and 1942, a period that coincides with the peak years of Welsh immigration and regional production of Peach Bottom slate.

District Resources (152) (101 contributing, 37 non-contributing)

From associated listing in National Register nomination form. C = Contributing, NC = non-contributing, blank = not evaluated.

AddressStatusResource Name and MIHP (if any)
1643 Main StreetCHA-1905 -- Proctor-Webster House
1645-1647 Main StreetCHA-1904 -- Rampley Double House
1649 Main StreetCHA-1903 -- Richard Roberts House
1608 Chestnut StreetC 
1612 Chestnut StreetCHA-1918 -- Lloyd Speculation House #1
1614 Chestnut StreetCHA-1917 -- Lloyd Speculation House #2
1616 Chestnut StreetCHA-1916 -- Kilburn House
1613 Chestnut StreetCHA-1927 -- MacNabb House
1615 Chestnut StreetCHA-1926 -- Dr. Wilhelm's House
1619 Chestnut StreetCHA-1306 -- Proctor-Dubin House
1621 Chestnut StreetCHA-1925 -- Slate Ridge Presbyterian Church Manse
1623 Chestnut StreetC 
1625 Chestnut StreetC 
1627 Chestnut StreetCHA-1924 -- Gailey-Moxley House
1629 Chestnut StreetCHA-1923 -- Richard Rees House
1618 Chestnut StreetCHA-1915 -- McCurdy House
1622 Chestnut StreetCHA-1914 -- Proctor-Hamilton House
1624 Chestnut StreetCHA-1913 -- Morris-Adams House
1700 Chestnut StreetC 
1635 Chestnut StreetCHA-1921 -- Humphrey D. Humphrey House
1701 Chestnut StreetCHA-1920 -- Emory Jones House
1604 Main StreetC 
1606 Main StreetC 
1610 Main StreetC 
1612 Main StreetC 
1614 Main StreetCHA-1900 -- Richard Parry Double House
1616 Main StreetCHA-1919 -- William M. Williams House, Sr. House
1622 Main StreetCHA-1898 -- Gailey-Fox House
1624 Main StreetCHA-1897 -- Marstellar House
4552 Church StreetCHA-942 -- Elizabeth Heaps House
4550 Church StreetCHA-1901 -- Lloyd Rental House #2
4548 Church StreetCHA-1902 -- Lloyd Rental House #3
1600 Main StreetCHA-1928 -- Greider House
1634 Main StreetCHA-944 -- Esdrealon Lodge
1636 Main StreetCHA-1895 -- Williams-Cox House
1638 Main StreetCHA-1894 -- Roberts-Lloyd House
1640 Main StreetCHA-1893 -- Tarbert House
1644 Main StreetC 
1648 Main StreetC 
Main Street & Church RoadCHA-1022 -- Mason-Dixon Stone Marker #29 (31)
Slate Ridge Road & Main StreetCHA-945 -- Williams-Jones House
1607A/1607B Main StreetC 
1609 Main StreetC 
1611/1613 Main StreetC 
1615 Main StreetC 
1617 Main StreetC 
1619 Main StreetC 
1623 Main StreetCHA-1911 -- William J. Williams House
1625 Main StreetCHA-1910 -- Harry Robinson House
1627 Main StreetCHA-1909 -- Thomas Williams House
1629 Main StreetC 
1631 Main StreetCHA-1908 -- McFadden House
1637 Main StreetCHA-1907 -- Helen Heaps House
1641 Main StreetCHA-1906 -- Dr. Arthur's House
Church Street & Chestnut StreetCHA-941 -- Slate Ridge Presbyterian Church
4540 Church StreetC 
4609 Green Marble RoadCHA-948 -- Marshall Heaps Oil Company Office (Heaps House)
4600 Green Marble RoadCHA-946 -- Joseph & Mary Johnson House
4602 Green Marble RoadCHA-947 -- Mary M. Pearce House
4535 Slate Ridge RoadC 
4533 Slate Ridge RoadC 
4610 Green Marble RoadCHA-949 -- Maryland Green Marble Quarry
1587 Main StreetC 
1585 Main StreetC 
1583A/1583B Main StreetC 
1581 Main StreetC 
1579 Main StreetC 
1577 Main StreetC 
1575 Main StreetC 
1571 Main StreetC 
1565 Main StreetC 
1557 Old Pylesville Road (1557 Main Street)CHA-1741 -- Slate Ridge School
1551 Main StreetC 
1545 Main StreetC 
1594/1596 Main StreetC 
1590/1592 Main StreetC 
1586/1588 Main StreetC 
1584 Main StreetC 
1582 Main StreetC 
1580 Main StreetC 
1578 Main StreetC 
1576 Main StreetC 
1574 Main StreetC 
1568 Main StreetC 
1509 Main StreetC 
1507 Main StreetC 
1505 Main StreetC 
1536 Main StreetC 
1534 Main StreetC 
1532 Main StreetC 
1530 Main StreetC 
1526/1526A Main StreetC 
1524 Main StreetC 
1522 Main StreetC 
1510 Main StreetC 
1516 Main StreetC 
1502 Main StreetC 
2415 Whiteford Road (Route 136)CHA-954 -- David Silver House
2419 Whiteford Road (Route 136)CHA-1892 -- Whiteford Station
2425 Whiteford Road (Route 136)C 
4444 Slate Ridge RoadCHA-955 -- Slate Ridge Quarries
2403 Whiteford Road (Route 136)NC 
2407 Whiteford Road (Route 136)NC 
1508 Main StreetNCWhiteford Post Office
1506 Main StreetNC 
1518 Main StreetNC 
Old Pylesville RoadNCHA-952 -- Butler Slaughterhouse
1503 Main StreetNC 
1501 Main StreetNC 
1598 Main StreetNCKemp's Used Cars
1535 Main StreetNC 
1533 Main StreetNC 
1515 Main StreetNC 
1538 Main StreetNC 
1556 Main StreetNC 
1554 Main StreetNC 
1552 Main StreetNC 
1550 Main StreetNC 
1548 Main StreetNC 
1546 Main StreetNC 
1544A Main StreetNC 
1544 Main StreetNC 
1570 Main StreetNC 
1549 Main StreetNC 
1547 Main StreetNC 
1555 Main StreetNC 
1563 Main StreetNC 
4604 Green Marble RoadNC 
4545 Slate Ridge RoadNC 
1603 Main StreetNC 
1602 Main StreetNC 
1632 Main StreetNCHA-1896 -- Roberts Garage Building
4549 Church StreetNCCardiff Auto Repair
4549 Church StreetNCGeorge's Body Shop
1605 Chestnut StreetNC 
1611 Chestnut StreetNC 
1616A Chestnut StreetNC 
1610 Chestnut StreetNCHA-1919 -- Welse Stone Farmhouse
1631 Chestnut StreetC/NCHA-1922 -- William M. Williams House
1646/1646B Main StreetC/NCR. Roberts & Son
1621 Main StreetC/NCHA-1912 -- John Parry House
1599 Main StreetC/NC 
4538-4542 Slate Ridge RoadC/NC 
1543 Main StreetC/NC 
1541 Main StreetC/NC 
1573 Main StreetC/NC 
1542 Main StreetC/NC 
1519 Main StreetC/NC 
1504 Main StreetC/NC 
1512 Main StreetC/NC 
2419 Whiteford Road (Route 136)C/NC 
Main Street & Church Road HA-943 -- Lloyd's Amusement Hall

 

Return to the National Register Search page