Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: K. Short, 11/3/2006
Round About Hills
Inventory No.: HO-9
Other Name(s): Peacefields
Date Listed: 11/20/2008
Location: 15505 Cattail Oaks, Glenwood, Howard County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1773, 1820
Description: Round About Hills, built c. 1773, contains a 1 1/2-story frame house with a stone addition, a stone outbuilding called the slave quarter, and a small frame outbuilding called the cottage, used as a tenant house. Oriented to the southeast, the main block is three bays wide by one bay deep, with a gambrel roof. The first floor, which is sheltered by a one-story hip-roofed porch on square posts, contains a central entrance with a four-light transom, and 6/6 sash windows. The second floor contains three 6/6 sash dormer windows in the gambrel slope. On the northeast end of the house is a shed-roofed, four bay by one bay rubble stone addition that has two stories on the front and one story on the rear. There are modern additions on the northwest (rear) of the stone addition. The entire northwest facade of the building is sheltered by a long screened porch with exposed rafter tails. The rear facade of the main block is fenestrated like the front. A chimney rises flush with the southwest gable end. The interior of the main block is composed of a single room across the front of the first floor and a room and stair passage in the rear. The northeast addition contains two rooms, with another two rooms in the rear additions on the rear of the wing. The second story floor plan is identical to the first story, but with two rooms to the southeast in the main block. A fourth structure on the property, a stone foundation with a concrete roof, has lost its integrity and does not contribute to the resource. Significance: Round About Hills is architecturally significant as an example of a gambrel-roofed double-cell plan dwelling with a stone end, very much in the tradition of the Chesapeake Tidewater in the 18th century, but a rare survival in inland Howard County. The house retains a high degree of integrity, and incorporates an 1820 stone kitchen addition that illustrates the change from detached to attached kitchens in this region. There are several outbuildings associated with the house, most significantly a stone structure that is believed to have been a slave quarter, another rare survival. The house was constructed c. 1773 either by the Ridgely family or by Reuben Meriweather, to whom it was formally sold in 1774. The Meriweather family sold the property to Thomas Cook in 1833. It was bought by a nephew of the family named Thomas C. Stewart in 1905. In 1937 the farm was bought by William and Isabelle Owings.

 

Return to the National Register Search page