Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: MHT Files, n.d.
Citizens State Bank
Inventory No.: AA-33
Other Name(s): Odenton Bank; Odenton Heritage Society Bank Building and Museum
Date Listed: 12/24/2013
Location: 1402 Odenton Road, Odenton, Anne Arundel County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1917
Description: The Citizens State Bank is a small one-story commercial building constructed in 1917 of rusticated concrete block. It is located on the north side of Odenton Road beside the MARC (formerly Pennsylvania Railroad) station in Odenton, Maryland. The building features restrained detailing in the Neoclassical Revival style. The Citizens State Bank is a one-story, three-bay, shed-roofed, rusticated concrete block commercial building, rectangular in plan, measuring 20 feet wide by 25 feet deep. It has a flat parapet roof with round, molded concrete block caps around its front and sides with a projecting wooden cornice a few feet below the parapet edge. The concrete blocks are tinted in two different shades, with the lighter-colored employed to create "quoins" at the corners, a single belt course around the top, and a crenellated surround framing the front door. Door and window openings have narrow, flat cast-stone lintels. The entrance holds an 18-light wooden door with sidelights and a three-section transom. A small gabled pediment is located above the door. The front (south) fa├žade is symmetrical, with small 4/4 wooden sash windows flanking the door. Each side elevation has a small 4/4 window at the rear and two larger windows toward the center. The larger windows have 6/6 sash and a three-light transom above. The interior comprises a single room, with small closets in the rear corners flanking a counter area. The closet doors have five horizontal panels. Original window and door trim and baseboards survive throughout, as does hardwood flooring. Significance: The Citizens State Bank building is historically significant for its association with the development of the Odenton area during the World War I era. Constructed in 1917, the bank was intended to serve military and civilian personnel assigned to the newly formed Camp Meade as well as the surrounding agricultural community. The building derives additional significance for its architecture, as a well-preserved and carefully restored example of a type of small bank building that characterized rural communities during the period. The period of significance, 1917-1963, represents the period from the original construction of the building to a date 50 years in the past. The building remained in continuous commercial use until 1966, when it was closed and remained vacant until it was acquired by the Odenton Heritage Society in 1993. The restored building houses the Society's local history museum and coffee shop.
Return to the National Register Search page