Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: MHT Files, n.d.
Inventory No.: HO-2
Date Listed: 12/16/2014
Location: 16449 Ed Warfield Road, Woodbine, Howard County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1838, 1879, 1891, 1898
Description: Oakdale is located south of the town of Lisbon in western Howard County, Maryland. The farm is situated on the southeast side of Ed Warfield Road, near the top of a hill, and the ground slopes down to the southeast and southwest. The house is a large brick late-Federal structure built in 1838, altered and probably enlarged in 1879 and 1891, and enlarged again in 1898 with Colonial Revival details. Facing southeast towards open fields, the house is three stories in height. The main block is five bays wide by two bays deep, with one-bay-long three-sided bay end wings and a six-bay by one-bay ell on the rear that is three stories tall on the southeastern four bays and two stories tall on the two northwestern bays. It has a rubble stone foundation, and the first and second stories of the southeast elevation have Flemish Bond brick while the other elevations have five-course common bond with traces of red paint and white penciling. The third story has wood shingles; most of the third-floor windows bear a panel beneath. There is a full entablature between the second and third stories. There is a hip roof with asphalt shingles and a widow's walk with sawn vertical boards for a balustrade. There is an interior brick chimney at each end, with two Bishop's caps. The southeast elevation is dominated by a large two-story portico, three bays wide, supported by Doric columns. The pediment contains a lunette window divided by a large mullion into two three-light sash with a wood keystone. There is a one-story porch to either side of the portico that is set back from the portico and wraps around both sides of the house supported by Doric columns. Most windows are 6/6 sash, with splayed brick jack arches. The central door has eight panels with sunken fields and quirked Greek ovolo panel moulds. There is a granite sill and one panel on each jamb and the soffit, with sunken flat panels and quirked Greek ovolo panel moulds. There is a leaded glass transom, and a panel above the door bears the dates "1766, 1838, 1898." To the outer side of the door architrave are wood engaged columns with impost blocks and a pediment. The southwest elevation of the southwest wing is three-sided, with date stones at the foundation level bearing the dates "1838" and "1898". The center bay of the first floor contains an 8/8 sash window, flanked by 6/6 sash windows to either side. The second story is shorter, with an 8/1 sash window in the center flanked by 6/1 windows. The polygonal bay only extends to the second floor. The third floor, covered in wood shingles, contains two 8/8 sash windows above the polygonal window arrangements below. There is an interior chimney on the northwest end of the wing with four Bishop's caps. The northeast elevation of the northeast wing is a three-sided brick bay on the first and second stories with the third story shingled and set back in the plane of the main block northeast wall. The first story has an 8/1 sash in the center. The east bay has a door with one light over one lying panel that has a sunken field and quirked Greek ovolo panel moulds. There is a single sidelight to the east, with a tall leaded-glass light over one panel, and a leaded-glass transom over the sidelight and door. There is an interior4 brick chimney on the northwest end of the wing, with three Bishop's caps. Several other doors appear around the house in various positions, usually of six panels, with granite sills, bullnose frames, and splayed jack arches, with various transoms and sidelights. One-story porches with Doric columns wrap around both sides of the building. The northwest elevation of the ell has an enclosed porch on the first story, with German siding and a hipped roof of standing metal. The house has a center-passage, double-pile plan with an ell on the northwest containing a single-loaded passage along the northeast. Also on the property are a brick smokehouse, a large frame stable and barn, a frame wagon shed with corn crib, a frame bungalow gar Significance: Oakdale is historically significant for its association with Maryland Governor Edwin Warfield, having been his lifetime home. Governor Warfield served from 1904 to 1908, and was the founder of the Fidelity and Deposit Company of Maryland which, in Warfield's time, was the largest surety company in the United States. Oakdale derives additional significance for its architecture, as a representative example of a family farm of the mid-19th century in Howard County, through the surviving main block of the 1838 house and several of the outbuildings. Its subsequent evolution embodies the distinctive characteristics of a grand country estate of a man of business of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, run on the profits of modern business rather than on those of the farming operation itself. The additions to the house, the stable, and the landscaping, including a frog pond, are all indicative of this. Oakdale has an outstanding degree of integrity, retaining the vast majority of historic fabric that existed during Warfield's occupation. The period of significance, 1838-1920, begins with the original date of construction of the house and ends with Edwin Warfield's death.
Return to the National Register Search page