Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



No photo
Auchentoroly Terrace Historic District
Inventory No.: B-5279
Date Listed: 9/17/2015
Location: Roughly bounded by Liberty Heights Avenue , Reisterstown Road, Fulton Avenue, and Auchentoroly Terrace, Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: District
Period/Date of Construction: 1895-1925
Architect/Builder: Multiple
Description: The 21-block area that comprises the Auchentolory Terrace Historic District is a formerly affluent residential three- and two-story rowhouse community initially developed in the period 1895-1911 with large, stylish rowhouses facing Druid Hill Park and Gwynn's Falls Parkway. The section of the Historic District south of Orem Avenue was developed first and is filled with brown Roman brick Renaissance-Revival-style three- and two-story swell-front houses, built between 1895 and 1899. Beginning in 1897, the heirs of John Morris Orem, who owned the land north of Orem Avenue planned and laid out a new semi-suburban neighborhood centering around two wide parked boulevards--Auchentolory Terrace, facing Druid Hill Park to the east and north, and Gwynn's Falls Parkway (originally called Orem Park Place) leading from the park to Reisterstown Road. Orem's son, William Morris Orem, and son-in-law William H. West, first developed lots facing Auchentolory Terrace and Gwynn's Falls Parkway with very large three-story, three-bay-wide, bay window, porch-front houses with small front lawns. These houses are basically in the Renaissance Revival style, but many facing Auchentolory Terrace often also have Dutch end gables breaking the rooflines, stamped sheet metal decorations, and colored stone trim. The rowhouses on the interior streets were not built until about 1920, on land developed by the Auchentolory Company, which purchased much of the Orem family's undeveloped land. Most of these houses are large porch-front red brick Daylight-style houses with front lawns. The district also includes several three-story apartment buildings, one group built in 1912, the others in the early 1920s. Significance: The Auchentolory Terrace Historic District is historically significant for its association with the history of development in Baltimore, and for its architecture, comprising a substantially intact collection of residential buildings representative of the types and styles that characterized the city's affluent neighborhoods in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Mainly developed in the period 1895-1925 as a stylish residential neighborhood facing Baltimore's Druid Hill Park (1860), the district offered suburban-style rowhouses with front porches and front lawns in an area directly north of the city's affluent Jewish neighborhood centering around Eutaw Place. Because of residential segregation practices, Baltimore's German Jewish elite began migrating to the Eutaw Place area in the 1880s and 1890s, where they built elegant townhouses or bought large and elaborate rowhouses and built a number of synagogues. When developers began creating another stylish neighborhood further north, with large Renaissance-Revival style rowhouses built along parked terraces and facing the green expanses of Druid Hill Park, affluent Jewish families moved in, opened Park School in 1912, and built an important synagogue in 1921-1927. Like the three-story, bay-window, porch-front houses built in the same years north of upper Mt. Vernon in Peabody Heights (now Charles Village), these houses also had front lawns and deep porches and many were designed by the same architects and builders. After World War I, several Jewish-owned building companies filled the undeveloped lots in the Auchentolory Terrace area with large versions of the newly popular Daylight-style house, also with front porches and front lawns. The period of significance, 1895-1925, begins with the initial construction of housing in the district and ends when it was substantially built-out, achieving its present and historic form and appearance.
Return to the National Register Search page