Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Michael O. Bourne, 02/1999
Carroll Mansion
Inventory No.: B-2
Date Listed: 5/25/1973
Location: 800 E. Lombard Street, Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1811-1812
Description: The Carroll Mansion is an updated version of traditional Maryland architecture adapted to an urban setting. It is brick and 2 ½-stories with a pavilion front and end gables rising into chimneys---all embellished with a veneer of detail typical of Baltimore during the first quarter of the 19th century. The roof has gabled dormers, and the slightly projecting center 3-bay section center entrance has a small Ionic portico with a balustraded deck. Additional front façade ornamentation includes a projecting marble string course above the first story and recessed panels between 2nd- and 3rd-story windows. The house was restored in 1963 when it was converted for museum use. Significance: The Carroll Mansion was the final home of Charles Carroll, the last surviving signer of the Declaration of Independence. In 1832, Carroll died in the Baltimore house he had financed for his daughter and son-in-law, Richard Caton. While in residence on Lombard Street, Carroll received a stream of visitors who wanted to meet "the relict of the Revolution," as he was called. The mansion is one of the few late Federal structures remaining in the city which illustrate the elegant lifestyle of the Lombard Street neighborhood in the early 19th century. John H.B. Latrobe, the son of the architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe, called it "the finest house in Baltimore at the time."
Return to the National Register Search page