Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: MHT File Photo, Undated Photo
Castle Hall
Inventory No.: CAR-4
Other Name(s): Golden Bottom
Date Listed: 12/4/1975
Location: Goldsboro Marydel Road (MD 311) , Goldsboro, Caroline County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1781
Description: Castle Hall is presently of a stepped three-part composition that, with the exception of a 1917 frame addition at one end, is built entirely of brick. It appears that the existing plan dates from about 1800 when the main block was connected to a two-story detached kitchen by the addition of a two-story section between the two buildings. The original 1781 house is the largest of the three parts and stands at the northeast end. Its principal facade has on the first floor a central entrance door flanked by four windows of 9/9 sash and five on the second floor. The eave cornice of the gable roof is boxed and decorated with carved modillion blocks and fretwork. At each end of the roof ridge there is a single flush gable chimney. On both the front and rear roof slopes there are two oversized, hipped-roof dormers that were added to the house about 1930. Significance: Castle Hall was built by Thomas Hardcastle of Caroline County in 1781. A prominent member of a family active in many county and state affairs, he built a house commensurate with his social position. Hardcastle was an active participant in local affairs during the Revolutionary era and the several decades following. During the Revolution he was a member of the Caroline County Committee of Safety, the body empowered to raise troops in the county. In 1776 he was elected, by ballot, to be the quartermaster of the West Battalion of the Caroline County troops. He and three others were appointed by the county court in 1777 to determine a place of meeting for that body. He served as a Justice of the Peace and as a justice of the county court, and in 1788 he was appointed one of the trustees to establish a county almshouse. Castle Hall is a fine Revolutionary-period dwelling constructed of brick and finished in a manner comparable to Willow Grove and Oak Lawn.
Return to the National Register Search page