Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: MHT File Photo, Undated Photo
Hayward's Lott
Inventory No.: S-74
Other Name(s): Ivy Hall
Date Listed: 5/13/1976
Location: Hayward Road , Pocomoke City, Somerset County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1727-1737
Description: Hayward's Lott, or Ivy Hall, is a 2-1/2 story farmhouse built c. 1730 of Flemish bond brickwork with glazed headers. Being six bays long by two deep, it is a good example of a large dwelling of this early period, having relatively small windows in the principal elevations, a steeply pitched roof, and two interior T-shaped chimneys. Around most of the base of Hayward's Lott is a simple watertable of rectangular brick. Across the front there are two belt courses. The one between the first and second floors is cut by a large southwestern window which lights the stair hall, and the other extends across the gable ends at the level of the cornice. Throughout the first floor all windows on the principal elevations are 6/6 except the rear western one which is 9/6. At the second level, they are 9/9. There are rubbed brick jack arches over the windows on the northeastern (front) elevation; but, throughout the remainder of the house, segmental brick arches were used. At the first floor level, except over the door in the rear western corner, and in the southeastern gabled end, these segmental arches have alternate glazed headers. The small front portico, a simple pediment with Tuscan columns, was a later addition. Another modification is the rear door in the western corner. This was most likely a window which was enlarged so as to provide access to a 19th century clapboard addition (now removed) that adjoined the main house. On the front, there are three wide gable-roofed dormers with 8/8 sash windows. The plan of Hayward's Lott is basically a hall and parlor separated by a central stair hall with entrances from the front and rear. There is an open string stair with three runs. Interior woodwork is not original, being typical of 19th century Greek Revival designs. The architraves with corner blocks are abstractions of fluted pilasters. In the living room, the mantel is also of Greek Revival design. Significance: Hayward's Lott, located in the southernmost region of Maryland's Eastern Shore, offers an insight into the colonial history of the province. This imposing brick structure very probably dates from c. 1730. Its location about fifteen miles inland on the Pocomoke River and far from the main stream of modern activity emphasizes the demography of the early tidewater civilization. Dependent on water transportation, the great houses were constructed on creeks and rivers. Hayward's Lott, only a mile and a half from Stevens' Ferry across the Pocomoke, was within easy distance of water transportation down the river to Pocomoke Sound and Chesapeake Bay. Access to the Bay in early Maryland meant close contact with England and the provincial capital was possible. Trading in tobacco and manufactured goods, as well as the movement of news, was all conducted by ship. Those who lived far from Annapolis by land were relatively close by sea. But with the advent of convenient and speedy land transportation, plantations as far down the Shore as Hayward's Lott became isolated from the mainstream of events.
Return to the National Register Search page