Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: MHT File Photo, Undated Photo
Fuller-Baker Log House
Inventory No.: G-II-C-015
Date Listed: 2/12/1971
Location: 8751 National Pike (US 40) , Grantsville, Garrett County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: after 1813
Description: The Fuller-Baker Log House is a rectangular log structure of two stories plus attic. Construction is of log planks about 8" thick; some are 14" and 16" broad and a few are 26' long. The ends of the log planks are notched and laid up "crib" fashion, and the crevices between are chinked with clay plaster and small stones. Facing north towards the old National Pike, the house is five bays wide with a central entrance with transom flanked by two 9/6 sash windows to either side. The first floor is spanned by a hip-roofed porch supported by turned posts. The second-floor windows hold 6/6 sash. The west gable end has two 3/1 sash windows on the first floor, and two small 4/2 sash windows in the attic gable. The south facade, now facing the modern alignment of U.S. 40, contains a door in each end bay on the first floor, and a single 6/6 sash window in the west bay of the second floor. The first floor of this facade is covered by a shed-roofed porch on square posts. An interior chimney rises from each gable end. A staircase and passageway, partitioned from the middle of the house, are not original to the building as there is structural evidence that there was a great central chimney with fireplaces. The house has been restored as an artist's studio. Significance: The Fuller-Baker Log House is an example of a log dwelling once common on the Allegheny frontier. While the building is significant regionally, the site has historical significance of national scope. Just north of the log structure lies the roadbed of the National Road, the first Federally financed highway and one of the most important routes westward in the pre-railroad era. National leaders like Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, and James K. Polk traveled the National Road to and from Washington, D.C. The second event of national importance happened a century earlier. In July of 1755 General Edward Braddock's army, which included American soldiers, notably the General's aide, Lt. Colonel George Washington, encamped near the Fuller-Baker Log House en route west to meet the French forces at Fort Duquesne. Maryland's first governor, Thomas Johnson, owned the property when the house was built in 1815, but it is named for two other residents. The first was Henry Fuller, who came to the area in 1837 to work as a stonemason. The Bakers were also early settlers and owned the house later.
Return to the National Register Search page