Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Joe Getty, 10/1976
Pearre-Metcalf House
Inventory No.: F-8-51
Date Listed: 7/2/1979
Location: 9084 Albaugh Road, New Windsor, Frederick County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1859
Description: The Pearre-Metcalfe House is a brick structure built in the mid 19th century. This farmhouse is an example of the Greek Revival style influence in central Maryland rural architecture. Two stories with a T-shape plan, this brick house is built on a fieldstone foundation that is constructed into a slight slope. The five-bay main facade is at the top of the slope and faces east. This facade is laid in all stretcher bond with a central doorway and a one-story, one-bay entrance porch. The porch has a gable roof with a dentil and molded cornice that returns slightly at the corners. The porch roof is supported by fluted columns that have plain Doric capitals. The doorway has a transom and sidelights with mullions arranged to form an alternating pattern of panes. There are pilaster strips with plain, flat capitals between the sidelights and the door. The door is ornamented by paneled surround and a molded flat, wood lintel. This lintel design is repeated over the windows throughout the house. The central bay on the second story of the main facade has a 4/4 sash window with 2/2 sash sidelights. The other windows on the main facade and the windows in the two-story gable ends are 4/4 sash with a wide, reeded, vertical mullion and thin horizontal members. In the gables are round-arch attic windows. Interior end brick chimney stacks rise on both sides of the roof ridge, connected above the ridge by a brick hyphen at each gable end of the main section. A single chimney stack stands at the gable end of the rear wing. There is a wood dentil cornice on the main facade and on the sides of the rear wing. Also on both sides of the rear wing are inset double-tier porches. A full basement exists on the south side of the wing because of the sloped site. The only outbuilding on the property is a small, brick springhouse with corbeled brick cornice and tin roof. Significance: The mid-19th century Pearre-Metcalfe House is an example of the typical central Maryland farmhouse form but with variations in plan and ornamentation. The basic form is a 5x2 bay, 2-story brick structure with interior gable end chimney stacks. The perimeter of the floor plan is also representative of the region with its rectangular main section and central wing on the rear, but there is an asymmetrical layout of rooms because the central stair hall does not run the full length of the main section. A rural interpretation of the Greek Revival style is found in the ornamentation of the house. The Greek Revival elements of the main facade include the plain stretcher bond, the dentil cornice, the gable roof entrance porch, the flat, horizontally molded wood lintels and the window mullions which emphasize the square window panes. The builder has used architectural ideas prevalent during the mid 19th century to give the main facade a blockish, monumental quality, but the retention of the farmhouse characteristics intrude upon this impression. The interior ornamentation, which varies from room to room, also derives from contemporary sources and stands apart from the restrained ornamentation and symmetrical facade characteristic of the central Maryland farmhouse. Local tradition has it built in 1859 by John R. Stevens for his daughter who married Hickson Pearre. But one of the roof rafters has "Built 1859 Francis L. Biefdler," written in white paint.
Return to the National Register Search page