Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Michael O. Bourne, 05/1976
Hope House
Inventory No.: T-90
Date Listed: 11/1/1979
Location: Voit Road , Copperville, Talbot County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1800
Description: Hope House is a seven-part brick mansion in which the central block is the original, Federal portion. The hyphens, wings, and additions were built during the first decade of the 20th century to replace earlier hyphens and wings. The north facade of the c. 1800 main block of the house is three bays long and almost as deep. It is 2 1/2 stories tall and has a central pavilion with a classical Doric porch dating to the 20th century. The entrance has a wide, single door which appears to be double, flanked by fluted pilasters and sidelights, with a wide, elliptical fanlight over all. Both sidelights and fanlights have designs typical of great Federal buildings. Above the entrance is a three-part window, the large central window of which has a semi-elliptical arch. In the apex of the pavilion is an elliptical window. All of the above-mentioned openings have rubbed and gauged brick arches in contrast to the Flemish bond brickwork with narrow convex mortar joints. The windows, which have 9/6 sash on both stories, have stone sills and louvered shutters. At the base of the eave all around the roof is a molded brick corbeled water table which was installed when the house was enlarged in the first decade of the 20th century to secure more headroom on the third story. Like most houses of the period, the walls lack water table and belt course. On the gable roof are two handsome dormers with pilasters and semicircular upper sash, fairly close copies of the original dormers which appear in early photographs. The south facade of the house has two windows on the pavilion on both stories in place of the entrance, with an additional window flanking the pavilion as in front. The two central windows open onto the porch with jib doors beneath the sash. These doors appear to be original. Across the first story is a flat-roofed porch supported on fluted columns with composite capitals. In the apex of the gable of the pavilion is a handsome lunette. There are two dormers, as on the north side, and the tall chimneys rise from the roof at each end. The 20th century hyphens are three bays long and were designed to connect to the wings at both levels, even though the ogee roof slopes from two stories to one. The windows have more brick detailing in the heads and surrounds than those of the original house. Each wing is 2 1/2 stories tall with gables to the facades. They are both two bays long and about three bays deep. Their chimneys rise from the farthest side of the wings, where they join the outer sides. The latter are 1 1/2 stories tall and three bays long with a jerkinhead roof on the outer gables. Significance: Hope is one of the great mansions of Talbot. Not only was it the home of illustrious members of the Tilghman and Lloyd families, it is one of the genuinely unique dwellings of its day and one of the best executed dwellings of the early 20th century. When built, Hope resembled in composition Mt. Clare, Baltimore, the home of Charles Carroll and his wife, aunt of the builder of Hope. Hope is considerably later, built about fifty years after Mt. Clare. Its original configuration consisted of the present central section with roof not quite as tall, with two 1 1/2-story frame wings connected by ogee-roofed hyphens, a truly dramatic composition. An old photo and the outline of one of the original hyphens were the basis for the design of the present hyphens. A 1907 photograph shows a single hyphen on one side of the main block and a two-story brick wing on the other. Both appear to date to the 1870s. A mid-19th century daguerreotype shows small brick hyphens with ogee roofs and 1 1/2-story frame wing.
Return to the National Register Search page