Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Reproduced from Library of Congress Collections, E.H. Pickering, 09/1936
Doughoregan Manor
Inventory No.: HO-22
Other Name(s): Charles Carroll III House
Date Listed: 11/11/1971
Location: 3500 Old Manor Lane, Ellicott City, Howard County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1727, c. 1780, 1830s
NHL Date: 11/11/1971
Description: The main house of Doughoregan Manor was originally a 1 1/2-story gambrel-roofed brick building with two pairs of end chimneys. The date of its construction has never been fully established, but it is believed that Charles Carroll II built the house about 1727. On the north end stood a small detached one-story brick family chapel and to the south, a brick kitchen, with servants' quarters. Both of these outbuildings were probably erected around 1780. In the 1830s Charles V enlarged and revised these three buildings into their present form. He raised the main house half story to a full story, making it a two-story structure. The new gable roof was cut off at the top to form a flat deck, which was balustraded and surmounted by an octagonal cupola. The center door of the front (east) facade was sheltered by a new one-story portico with four Doric columns. A similar new portico on the rear elevation had a room above it and on either side a long one-story covered veranda with iron columns and a marble floor extended the length of the main house. The chapel to the north was enlarged and its height raised, and the remodeled building was joined to the main house by means of a two-story passageway. The kitchen to the south was similarly enlarged and connected to the central block. The resulting new five-part composition, about 300' in length, was unified by the addition of wooden walkways to the roofs of the wings and the installation of an octagonal cupola on the central block. The central house has a center hall plan. The main hall, paneled in oak, extends from front to rear. The stair is located in a small side hall, situated on the north side of the main hall, adjacent to the front entrance. Beyond the side hall is a library, and to the west, a large parlor. On the south side of the main hall are a smaller parlor, in the southeast corner, and to the west, a dining room. The second-floor bedrooms, remodeled in the 1830s, were completely renovated and redecorated about 1915. The estate, containing the house and about 3,000 acres, is in excellent condition. Significance: Doughoregan Manor was the country home from 1766 to 1832 of Charles Carroll (III) "of Carrollton," a signer of the Declaration of Independence for Maryland, planter, landowner, politician, and U.S. Senator. The Georgian brick plantation house, built about 1727, was greatly enlarged and remodeled in the Greek Revival style in the 1830s by the signer's grandson, Charles Carroll V. Charles Carroll of Carrollton is buried in the family chapel attached to the north end of the mansion, his favorite country home.

 

Return to the National Register Search page